Brimming with vibrant flavors, these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos are not only nutritious but really simple to make. Just assemble all the ingredients in the crockpot, and let it do the work for you!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos with Salsa
These slow cooked tacos are prepared with tender chicken simmering in a zesty salsa with hints of lime and spices. These tacos are more than just a meal; they’re vibrant and tasty, packed with fresh flavors and textures, wrapped up in wholesome ingredients. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner or looking for a creative twist on taco night, this dish is sure to impress. Best of all, creating this feast is as simple as setting up your slow cooker.
Why I Love Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- These little wonders are perfect for busy weeknights thanks to the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- These chicken tacos whip up a healthy meal that’s a crowd-pleaser for the whole family.
- And talk about versatility! You can transform this recipe into anything from chicken chimichangas to taco salads or even your favorite burritos, tostadas, or enchiladas.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Whether you’re serving them up for a casual family dinner or impressing guests at a festive gathering, these tacos are delicious and filling!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- jar (16 ounces) of chunky tomato salsa
- lime, juiced
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic, minced
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- taco toppings
- Prepare the Chicken: Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Arrange them at the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix the Salsa: In a bowl, combine salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and cilantro or parsley. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Coat the Chicken: Pour the salsa mixture over the chicken, turning the chicken to ensure it’s fully coated.
- Cook: Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 2.5 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 4 to 4.5 hours.
- Shred the Chicken: Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred it using two forks.
- Assemble the Tacos: Stir the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Evenly divide the chicken over warm tortillas and garnish with avocado, red onions, and parsley or cilantro.
How To Make Ahead
- Prep in Advance: Feel free to prepare the shredded chicken up to two days ahead of time. Simply keep it in a sealed container in the fridge, and reheat it when you’re ready to use it.
- Freezing Method: For longer storage, you can freeze the shredded chicken in an airtight container or sealed bag for as long as three months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
How To Make Chicken Tacos in The Instant Pot
- Season your chicken and place it on the bottom of the Instant Pot’s insert.
- Add the salsa mixture and cook on Manual (or High Pressure) for 8 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken and shred it. Serve in tortillas or another favorite dish with your choice of toppings.
Tips & Variations
- Spice Level: Adjust the chili powder and cumin to your preferred heat level.
- Chicken: You can use chicken thighs instead of breasts for a juicier result.
- Slow Cooking: Cooking the chicken on the lower temperature setting for longer will often result in more tender chicken.
- Serving: Serve the tacos with rice or a fresh salad for a complete meal.
- Add Vegetables: Add diced bell peppers or corn into the slow cooker for added texture and taste.
- Alternative Salsas: Use different types of salsa like green tomatillo salsa or mango salsa for unique flavors.
- Gluten-Free: Utilize gluten-free tortillas if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Taco Bowls: Instead of traditional tortillas, serve the shredded chicken over a bed of rice or quinoa and top with your favorite taco toppings for a fun taco bowl variation.
When it comes to pairing chicken tacos, fresh and flavorful sides can elevate the entire meal.
- Pico De Gallo is a classic choice, bringing zesty citrus and fresh tomato flavors to the table.
- For those who appreciate fresh flavors, coconut lime cauliflower rice can be an appealing option.
- Traditional Mexican Rice is a great addition, while mexican street corn salad offers a mix of creamy, spicy, and tangy tastes.
- No taco meal is complete without a scoop of homemade guacamole.
- And for a crunchy, refreshing twist, try a side of Mexican cilantro vinaigrette coleslaw.
More Mexican Inspired Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) jar chunky tomato salsa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 10 to 12 flour tortillas
- sliced avocado
- chopped red onions
- sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and transfer them to the insert of your slow cooker. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and cilantro or parsley; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the salsa mixture over the chicken and turn the chicken to coat.
- Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 2.5 to 3 hours or on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred it with two forks.
- Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker to coat with the sauce.
- Evenly divide the chicken over warm tortillas and garnish with your chosen toppings.
- Spice Level: Modify chili powder and cumin for desired heat.
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can also try it with chicken thighs.
- Slow Cooking: Cook the chicken on LOW for a juicier, more tender chicken.
- Serving: Pair with rice or salad.
- Alternative Salsas: Try tomatillo or mango salsa.
- Flour Tortillas: I normally use low-carb flour tortillas or gluten-free tortillas.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.