Slow Cooker Crack Chicken is the ultimate comfort food. Creamy, cheesy, and loaded with flavor, it’s topped with melted cheddar and crispy bacon for a truly delicious and indulgent meal. What’s more, it is also low-carb and keto-friendly.
I’ll never get tired of saying this: my slow cooker is a gem! The sheer simplicity of tossing ingredients in, setting the timer, and then carrying on with my day is something I absolutely cherish. And let me tell you about this crockpot crack chicken – it’s a total game-changer! This chicken dish is nothing short of spectacular. And with the convenience of the slow cooker, it’s not just a treat for your taste buds – it’s also ridiculously easy to make.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
- Flavorful: The trio of ranch seasoning, cream cheese, and bacon guarantees a mouthwatering and “addictive” meal.
- Easy: Toss your ingredients in the slow cooker, set it, and come home to a cooked meal.
- Versatile: From sandwiches to pasta, wraps, and more, this dish’s versatility lets you enjoy it in various ways.
- Low Carb Indulgence: Creamy and indulgent, yet low-carb and Keto-friendly, this dish caters to various dietary preferences.
What Is Crack Chicken?
Crack chicken and its variants are the current rage in the foodie circles. From pork to pasta, these ‘crack’ dishes spotlight three ingredients: Ranch seasoning, cream cheese, and bacon. It’s this trifecta that makes every meal irresistibly addictive.
Crack Chicken Ingredients
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth: It can be substituted with regular chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Ranch Seasoning Mix: This is a blend of herbs you can buy at any grocery store. As a substitute, a mix of dried dill, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley can mimic the ranch flavor.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: You can substitute with boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a juicier texture.
- Cream Cheese: Adds creaminess and richness to the dish. It melts into the chicken, creating a smooth texture. Neufchâtel cheese can be used as a substitute.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Half of the cheese is mixed into the chicken, and the rest is used as a topping. You can substitute with other shredded cheeses like Monterey Jack or Colby for a milder taste.
- Bacon: Adds a smoky, crispy touch to the dish.
- Chopped Green Onions: Used for serving. Chives or sliced red onions can also be used.
- Chopped Fresh Parsley: You could also use cilantro or dill for garnish.
What if I Don’t Have Ranch Seasoning Mix?
If you don’t have ranch seasoning mix, you can easily make your own right at home. All you have to do is combine 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried dill weed, ½ teaspoon dried chives, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Tadah, now you have your very own ranch seasoning mix!
How to Make Crack Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- Prep: Pour chicken broth into your slow cooker and stir in the ranch seasoning mix. Add chicken breasts to the slow cooker and stir around to coat the chicken.
- Slow Cook: Cover with the lid and set on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
- Shred: Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the lid and shred the chicken in the slow cooker using two forks. Use shredder claws, if you can – it’s much easier.
- Cheese: Stir in the cream cheese and 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese until completely melted and combined.
- Top: Top your chicken with remaining cheddar cheese and chopped bacon.
- Serve: Garnish with green onions and parsley, and serve.
I love to serve shredded crack chicken on a sandwich. Give it to me on a seeded and toasted bun all day, and I’ll be happy. You can use it to top your favorite pasta or zoodles. In a wrap or lettuce cup. Serve it over rice, quinoa, or riced cauliflower. On top of a baked potato or mashed potatoes. On top of a BBQ chicken pizza! Or simply eat it straight up as a dip with tortilla chips or veggies like you would with a Buffalo chicken dip.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Allow the chicken to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in your refrigerator for about 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, simmer the chicken over medium-low heat until heated through. Add chicken broth, if needed, to thin it out.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Slow Cooker Coq Au Vin
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 block (8-ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature, cut up into 4 pieces for easier melting
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked to a crisp and chopped
- chopped green onions, for serving
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Pour chicken broth into the slow cooker and stir in the ranch seasoning mix.
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker and stir around to coat the chicken.
- Cover with the lid and set the slow cooker on LOW for 5 hours, or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
- When done, remove the lid and shred the chicken inside the slow cooker using two forks or shredding claws.
- Stir in the cream cheese and 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese; stir until completely melted and combined.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese; cover with the lid and let the cheese melt.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle chopped bacon on top.
- Garnish with green onions and parsley.
- Serve in sandwiches, wraps, burgers, and/or lettuce cups.
- DIY Ranch: You can make your own ranch seasoning mix by combining ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried dill weed, ½ teaspoon dried chives, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Net Carbs: 4 g
- Storage: Keep the chicken stored in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.