Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos – Packed with amazing flavors, healthy, and very easy to make Salsa Chicken Tacos! Arrange all ingredients in the crock pot and walk away!
Hellloooo, friends!!! HAPPY first MONDAY of the NEW YEAR! (*cap letters = I’m shouting*) New Year, new US!
Did you have fun on New Year’s Eve? What did you do?? Let me know! For those interested, we went to a friend’s place, popped a bottle of Dom Perignon, drank it, and went to bed. HAHA! That stuff about quality alcohol means no hangover? YAH, okay… I woke up with a banging headache and had to dose up on excedrin just to keep my eyes open. Also? 3 chicken tacos later, I was back on my feet.
HOW TO EAT IN MODERATION
Be honest… do you have a new year’s resolution about eating healthier? Like, are you TRULY ready to lighten up those meals for at least the next month or so?
Whenever I feel like it’s time to step away from chocolate and garlic butter, I start making salsa chicken tacos. Honestly. It’s the easiest 2-night dinner – sometimes 3 nights because my husband doesn’t like leftovers… – and I don’t have to worry about what lighter meal to create night after night.
On the flip side, though, I almost always keep things light. AND, if I feel like something I’m eating is a bit much in as far as fats and calories, I’ll only eat ONE serving of it because temptation and all, but I’m good at limiting myself.
When I am asked how do you not gain weight, I credit that to the whole “in moderation” theory. I will have a bite or two of a chocolate cake, but I will never ever finish an entire slice. I also don’t eat pizza, have no idea what a big mac is, and broccoli and asparagus are my favorite foods…
IF you can follow the above mentioned advice, I guarantee you will lose weight and start to feel healthier without limiting yourself to tofu and rabbit food. You’ll see!
OKAY. NOW. Salsa Chicken Tacos in the Slow Cooker
Several years ago, when I first discovered that you can arrange some chicken breasts in the crock pot (slow cooker?!?), pour salsa over them, and have a damn good meal 3 hours later? I suddenly felt untroubled, content, glad, fortunate… you name it, I was feelin’ it! Salsa Verde Chicken made it all happen for me.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SALSA CHICKEN TACOS
Since it’s full swing winter out here, I’m all in a how many things can I shove in the slow cooker and stuff said food in a tortilla mood (low carb, whole wheat flour tortillas!) and call it a successful dinner.
- Well, as you can see here, all it takes is some chicken and a good seasoned salsa to make that happen.
- I use a mild salsa and then mix a few things into it, like cumin and chili powder. You can add other seasonings and add as much or as little as you want, and you won’t get it wrong.
- Several hours later, maybe even just 3 hours if you cook it on HIGH, you will end up with the most amazing, darn delicious, fall apart chicken of ever.
- For toppings, I only add an avocado to mine, and spread a bit of yogurt on the tortilla before finishing off one taco in 4 bites. SO GOOD!
But it’s the toppings where people get in trouble. SO, keep it light! Don’t do sour cream, BUT DO reach for the nonfat yogurt. If you must have cheese, sprinkle a bit of queso fresco over it and have a great dinner!
P.S. An entire serving = 2 tacos = 318 calories = JUST 6 Weight Watchers Smart Points! 2017 IS our year!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 2 pounds boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky tomato salsa
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 10 to 12 Low Carb Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
- sliced avocado
- chopped red onions
- nonfat plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper; arrange on the bottom of your slow cooker and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and cilantro or parsley; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour salsa mixture over chicken and turn chicken to coat.
- Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 2.5 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 4 to 4.5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker; evenly divide chicken over warm tortillas and garnish with avocado, red onions, yogurt, and parsley or cilantro.
WW Smart Points: 2
*Garnishes not included in the Nutritional Facts
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!