Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos – Packed with amazing flavors, healthy, and very easy to make Salsa Chicken Tacos! Arrange all ingredients in the crock pot and walk away!
Hellloooo, friends!!! HAPPY first MONDAY of the NEW YEAR! (*cap letters = I’m shouting*) New Year, new US!
Did you have fun on New Year’s Eve? What did you do?? Let me know! For those interested, we went to a friend’s place, popped a bottle of Dom Perignon, drank it, and went to bed. HAHA! That stuff about quality alcohol means no hangover? YAH, okay… I woke up with a banging headache and had to dose up on excedrin just to keep my eyes open. Also? 3 chicken tacos later, I was back on my feet.
HOW TO EAT IN MODERATION
Be honest… do you have a new year’s resolution about eating healthier? Like, are you TRULY ready to lighten up those meals for at least the next month or so?
Whenever I feel like it’s time to step away from chocolate and garlic butter, I start making salsa chicken tacos. Honestly. It’s the easiest 2-night dinner – sometimes 3 nights because my husband doesn’t like leftovers… – and I don’t have to worry about what lighter meal to create night after night.
On the flip side, though, I almost always keep things light. AND, if I feel like something I’m eating is a bit much in as far as fats and calories, I’ll only eat ONE serving of it because temptation and all, but I’m good at limiting myself.
When I am asked how do you not gain weight, I credit that to the whole “in moderation” theory. I will have a bite or two of a chocolate cake, but I will never ever finish an entire slice. I also don’t eat pizza, have no idea what a big mac is, and broccoli and asparagus are my favorite foods…
IF you can follow the above mentioned advice, I guarantee you will lose weight and start to feel healthier without limiting yourself to tofu and rabbit food. You’ll see!
OKAY. NOW. Salsa Chicken Tacos in the Slow Cooker
Several years ago, when I first discovered that you can arrange some chicken breasts in the crock pot (slow cooker?!?), pour salsa over them, and have a damn good meal 3 hours later? I suddenly felt untroubled, content, glad, fortunate… you name it, I was feelin’ it! Salsa Verde Chicken made it all happen for me.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SALSA CHICKEN TACOS
Since it’s full swing winter out here, I’m all in a how many things can I shove in the slow cooker and stuff said food in a tortilla mood (low carb, whole wheat flour tortillas!) and call it a successful dinner.
- Well, as you can see here, all it takes is some chicken and a good seasoned salsa to make that happen.
- I use a mild salsa and then mix a few things into it, like cumin and chili powder. You can add other seasonings and add as much or as little as you want, and you won’t get it wrong.
- Several hours later, maybe even just 3 hours if you cook it on HIGH, you will end up with the most amazing, darn delicious, fall apart chicken of ever.
- For toppings, I only add an avocado to mine, and spread a bit of yogurt on the tortilla before finishing off one taco in 4 bites. SO GOOD!
But it’s the toppings where people get in trouble. SO, keep it light! Don’t do sour cream, BUT DO reach for the nonfat yogurt. If you must have cheese, sprinkle a bit of queso fresco over it and have a great dinner!
P.S. An entire serving = 2 tacos = 318 calories = JUST 6 Weight Watchers Smart Points! 2017 IS our year!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky tomato salsa
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 10 to 12 Low Carb Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
- sliced avocado
- chopped red onions
- nonfat plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper; arrange on the bottom of your slow cooker and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and cilantro or parsley; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour salsa mixture over chicken and turn chicken to coat.
- Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 2.5 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 4 to 4.5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker; evenly divide chicken over warm tortillas and garnish with avocado, red onions, yogurt, and parsley or cilantro.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
11 comments on “Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos Recipe”
Why yogurt instead of sour cream? Too overpowering?
Less calories. 😀 You can most definitely use sour cream 🙂
This was a great recipe. Simple and very tasty. We have it in our keeper box.
Happy New Years! Your New Years sounds like it was much more exciting that ours was. haha. we didn’t even stay up to watch the ball drop lol. we were dead tired and asleep by like 11.. I guess it didn’t help that I wasn’t feeling very good to start with. Oh my but these tacos would have been perfect for the next day either way!
Chicken tacos in the slow cooker are my family’s favorites!
Your NYE sounds exciting enough. 😉 And gimme some tacos! Yum.
This recipe sounds amazing, Katerina and that chicken looks divine. This is a dish my entire family would love!
This is perfect for Taco Tuesday! I love this recipes! It looks amazing!
Such an easy classic dish! My family loves tacos and I love my slow cooker! We will be making
Holy moly! These tacos look wonderful!
Katerina, all of your recipes are SO good! I want to come have dinner at your house!!
We’ll start with the Feta Cheese Bread Ring Dip, have this as our main course, your Black Magic Chocolate Cake for dessert. We’ll sit around enjoying drinks and telling jokes and the next morning we can have the Overnight Breakfast Strata with some Lemon Bread.
Don’t worry, I’ll do the dishes. <3 XOXO