Easy Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken – Loaded with salsa verde and delicious tomatoes, this healthy crock pot chicken is incredibly flavorful and extremely easy to make. Just place it all in the crock pot and walk away.
CROCK POT SALSA VERDE CHICKEN
Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is chicken breasts baked in tomatillo salsa verde sauce, mixed with tomatoes and onions. Salsa Verde Chicken around here is also known as, “Dump & Go” chicken dinner!
BTW, Hallo Hallo, lovelies! Smile BIG – it’s Sunday Fundaaaay! Don’t EVEN think about manic Monday… not yet. You can, but not until 7 pm tonight, when you start to remember all the things you have to get done before Monday arrives. Coo’?
These easy “dump and go” dinners are life changing. Because, it literally takes 7-ish minutes to prep dinner and the rest is done by our Crock Pot crock pot.
Sidenote: IS that why it’s called a crock pot? Because of the brand?? HA!
I’m just kidding! Of course I knew that! It’s like that whole Kleenex by Kleenex thing.
HOW TO MAKE SALSA VERDE CHICKEN IN THE CROCK POT
Salsa Chicken – not verde – is probably the first dish I ever made in a slow cooker. It really couldn’t have been easier; I poured a jar of salsa into the crock pot, arranged some chicken on top of that, and 4 hours later, din din was served.
AND I looked like I totally knew what I was doing in a room with knives and food-type ingredients.
After that successful recipe, I moved onto bigger things, like dumping salsa on top of beef and peppers inside the crock pot and calling it Beef Fajitas! Always livin’ on the edge. 😃
I also make this Verde Chicken and it’s a favorite for Sunday dinners, parties, and gamedays.
- First, you want to add some chicken breasts to the insert of your slow cooker.
- Then, add in onions, plus a can of diced roasted tomatoes on top, followed by couple cups of salsa verde, cumin, chili powder, and garlic.
- Set to cook for 4 hours on HIGH, or 6 hours on LOW.
- When finished, remove chicken from the slow cooker, shred it, then stir it back into the sauce, and serve.
So now here we are salsa verde-ing our chicken, getting all that amaze-maze flavor that you would the traditional way, but much easier and maybe even more flavorful. ME LIKEY.
And it’s creations like this that make me feel like a dinner-hero.
HOW TO STORE SHREDDED CHICKEN
- Store completely cooled shredded chicken in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- To freeze, store shredded chicken in ziploc bags or airtight containers and keep in the freezer for 3 to 4 months.
Easy Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups salsa verde (I use Herdez Salsa Verde)
- 1/2 tablespoon (or to taste) ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon (or to taste) chili powder
- chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- jalapeno rings, for garnish
- Lightly spray the crock with cooking spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place chicken in the crock pot.
- Arrange onions and garlic over chicken breasts.
- Add tomatoes, salsa verde, cumin, and chili powder; stir everything around to combine.
- Cover and cook for 3.5 to 4 hours on HIGH, or 5 to 6 hours on LOW.
- Remove cover and transfer chicken breasts to a cutting board; using two forks, shred the chicken.*
- Stir shredded chicken back into the crock pot.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Top with fresh parsley or cilantro and jalapeno rings.
- Serve in tacos, over salads, and/or rice.
**You can serve this with flour tortillas, sandwich bread, and/or burger buns.
Or, serve it as is.
***Place leftovers in a container with a lid and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days.
WW Freestyle Points: 0
RECIPE ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON OCTOBER 25th, 2015; UPDATED RECIPE AND POST ON JANUARY 29th, 2020.