Fiesta Rice Recipe – Mexican inspired side dish recipe with fluffy, tender, flavorful rice and colorful veggies. Serve with Mexican food like, tacos or enchiladas, but it’s just as good served with steak or chicken.
Great news: ONE POT + ALL THE INGREDIENTS.
Hello Hello! Happy day to you all!
Because I’m a big believer in celebrating all holidays, today, the day before Cinco de Mayo, I will present to you THIS. THIS Fiesta Rice being one of my too-many-things-all-in-one-pot, but-SO-GOOD-food.
My world is currently revolving around super quick dinners. With my dad still in the hospital, I don’t have the time to slave around the kitchen for too long, or wax poetic about Pambazos or Carne Adobada, know whadda mean? BUT, quick, one pot rice that practically cooks itself? Oh yes, bring it on!
Well this is the best of both worlds: not only are we eating fluffy rice, we’re eating all this color! Filled to the brim with fiber, potassium, and antioxidants, it’s fun and fabulous. Trust me. Not that I ever need an excuse to eat beans and corn and tomatoes, BUT. If you tell me that eating all of that will bring me all those healthy goodies? I’ll probably house more than usual, to be honest.
I’ve made a whole heck of a lot of side dishes in my blog life and I gotta say that this Fiesta Rice is probably one of the faves. The rice, the veg, the cumin and the tiny chopped and fried onions is just to die for. Maybe it’s because I am currently a bottomless pit – I need so much energy to keep me going while helping my parents AND running my own house – and I want to eat everything in sight, but the flavor combo here, while simple, it’s GOOD!
The rice is cooked in some brownish butter with onions and peppers, and then it takes a swim in flavorful broth with its canned buddies, tomatoes, corn and black beans. 15-minute-simmer later, this is your result. LOVE.
Sidenote: If you are desperately trying to use up some of those 435 cans found in your pantry, this is YOUR recipe. You can also use frozen veg. Thaw it beforehand.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Fiesta Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 small red pepper , diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet corn kernels, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, OR to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and red peppers; cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, and corn.
- Season with cumin, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- *Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove cover, fluff with fork and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
WW SmartPoints: 8
If you don't have a cover, top the skillet with aluminum foil and wrap it around.