This easy Lemon Rice Recipe is bursting with lemon flavor! It’s a delicious way to turn plain rice into an exotic dish and is the perfect accompaniment to any meats and/or veggies.
AN EASY LEMON RECIPE RECIPE
HELLO! What’s up what’s up?! I have very important news. Very. I took almost an entire week away from the blog! I’m shocked at myself. I still worked, but away from home and WITH people! As in, not by myself in a kitchen creating recipes and taking photos in a 2×4 make-believe studio for 8 hours a day. #foodbloggerproblems
Sneak peek of where I was and what I did:
Will talk to you about it in an upcoming post. EEEP!
I know. You came here for the rice.
Have you ever had Lemon Rice?! If not, you really, really, reaaaallllly should! It will change you 4EVA.
WHAT IS LEMON RICE?
You know what’s in here, right? I mean, besides the lemon. Any ideas? It’s turmeric! That’s why it’s so golden and pretty and SO freakin’ hard to photograph! Yellow food is my enemy. But, who cares… I brought you sunshine in a dish! The rice is amazing and that is all that we need to worry about.
Now, before my Indian friends notice that there’s no roasted peanuts in here and red chilies, allow me to explain. This is how we, Macedonians, make it: green onions, garlic, lemon zest and as much lemon juice as one needs. I, however, did add a bit of extra: turmeric. In as far as I know, we don’t use turmeric, but I had to stir it in – it’s just too pretty and too good-for-you to pass up.
Also, the rice is cooked in broth and milk instead of water, which in turn makes the rice a bit creamy and so much more flavorful.
A sprinkle of dill at the end is every.thing.
Now, normally, I would sit around and talk to you a whole lot more, but because I took days away from the kitchen, I must hop back in there today and work for the next 12 hours…. on a Friday. WELP!
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Lemon Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 green onions , white parts only, cut into thin rounds (reserve green parts for garnish)
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup half & half (or heavy cream or evaporated milk)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- chopped fresh dill , for garnish
- chopped green onions , for garnish
- Melt butter and heat olive oil in a nonstick pan.
- Add onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic and lemon zest; continue to cook and stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add rice; season with turmeric, salt and pepper, and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in vegetable broth, half & half, and lemon juice.
- Turn up the heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer; cover the pan and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Fluff with a fork and taste for seasonings; adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with dill and green onions.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.