Almond Brown Rice Pilaf – Turn simple brown rice into a delicious healthy dish with toasted almonds, sweet shallots and parsley!
Hi ya, buddies! HAPPY FRIDAY! Do you love Fridays?! I can’t get enough of them.
Secondly. What’s on your weekend’s agenda?? My plans include going to Wisconsin where I will be sure to enjoy 3 days at the Kohler Food & Wine Experience! Isn’t that super cool? I’ll tell you all about it when I get back. For now I’m just looking forward to food, wine, and possibly a full night’s sleep? ‘Cause I’m leaving the hubs and kids behind! It will be me, my hotel room, and a pillow… HIGH FIVE!
But first, more pressing news: I don’t like brown rice. And here I am talking about a brown rice recipe. I know I knoooow! Well, it’s not that I don’t like it, it’s that I don’t like it without flavorings and all, you know? And because it’s good for us, I do turn to it as often as I possibly can. Let’s be honest, though; there ain’t a thing that butter and toasted nuts couldn’t help. Am I right? EXACTLY.
BROWN RICE PILAF
I have made this Almond Brown Rice Pilaf recipe a gazillion times and I’ve almost never really changed it. I am comfortable with it and I’m afraid to walk away from it. As I said, me no likey brown rice, but me DO likey THIS brown rice.
So in order to avoid white rice at times, we will keep to this recipe and love it as much as we can. Deal? Coo’.
Grab a skillet – JUST ONE – some butter, and brown rice – your new side dish will be ready in 20 minutes.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove , minced.
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds , toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil and butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped shallots and saute for 1 minute or until crisp-tender.
- Add garlic and saute for 20 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in rice and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add toasted almonds and parsley; stir and fluff with a fork.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 6
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!