Come hither. Please, take a seat. Oh. Wait. You’re probably already sitting down. Or not. Maybe you’re reading this on your phone while waiting to pay for your groceries. In that case, keep standing. You will look silly if you sit down.
You know what today is, right? Reminder: It’s another Savory Sunday deal and we get to discuss Chicken Enchiladas. OLE!
The other night, or sometime last week – I lose track of what day it is – the hubs and I were just chillin’ on the couch. He on his laptop, me on mine. He on his Soccer thingamajigger Page, me on my Facebook Page. We’re cool like that.
We probably said about ten words to each other. It went something like, “Kat, what’s for dinner?” … “Leftovers” … “Cool.” … “Want me to make them into Enchiladas?” … “That would be way cooler.” … “I know. Ok. I’ll be in the kitchen.”
See that? That’s love. We’re crazy for each other. 😉
But, that is how these Chicken Enchiladas were born.
Think about this – how often do you deal with leftover chicken? All.The.Time. Right?? Me, too!! I mean, it’s cool and all because I get to toss it in a salad the next day or make a sandwich. Sometimes I’ll make Shredded Buffalo Chicken Tacos. Other times I even throw it on a perfectly Grilled Pizza.
I obviously do a lot of things with leftover chicken. I just noticed that.
Allow me to introduce you to MY version of Chicken Enchiladas – Rolled tortillas loaded with chicken, tomatoes, and a creamy, cheesy sauce. They are sorta like Italy meets Mexico meets America.
We’re going to shred some cooked chicken breast and toss it in with a bit of onion and garlic. Then we will mix in some diced tomatoes (Ciao, Italia), shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream (Howdy, America), and we will season it all with basil, oregano, and chili powder (Hola, Mexico).
Doesn’t all that sound deeeelicious? ‘Cause it is! Go ahead. Hit print. You will need this recipe for tonight.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions , sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 chicken breasts , cooked and shredded
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) diced tomatoes, reserve 1/3 for topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 6 to 8 (8-inch) tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-heat in a large skillet.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, 2/3 of the diced tomatoes, and sour cream; season with oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and chili powder.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Mix in 1/2 of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon mixture down the center of each tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with the rest of the diced tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
15 comments on “Chicken Enchiladas”
Totally like me and my hubbs…we need only few words to understand what we want, or maybe no words sometimes LOL!
Your enchiladas are out of this world yummy! Love the recipe and pictures are nomilicios!
Have a great mid week, hopefully you will get some sunshine without snow weekend!:D
Hehee I like that you shared your conversation with hubby. 😀 My whole family would adore this dish! I love your Italian-Mexican Enchiladas!
Now you’re talking! Oh how we love our enchiladas! What a great dish!
My dad would go nuts for these! While I’m not typically a short cut kind of girl, rotisserie chicken would be great in these.
Looks like a family winner dinner. 🙂