Perfectly tender and juicy Salsa Chicken baked on a bed of fresh tomato salsa and topped with melted cheese. A low carb, Keto-friendly, scrumptious, and cheesy chicken dinner LOADED with flavor.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts stay juicy baked in this beautiful Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa, getting all the flavors from tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and garlic.
Incredibly simple and SO easy to make, this Baked Salsa Chicken is always the perfect recipe for when you’re short on time, but still want a delicious, homemade dinner.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED SALSA CHICKEN
This easy recipe needs just a few ingredients and it’s a snap to prepare.
If time allows, start with making your own Salsa. BUT, if you want to use store-bought, that’s cool, too. Just choose your favorite chunky salsa.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Warm some olive oil in a skillet.
- Season chicken breasts with a mixture of seasonings, herbs, salt, and pepper; transfer chicken to skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until just browned. For the seasonings; you can also use store-bought or homemade taco seasoning mix.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with salsa. Arrange chicken on top and add more salsa over each chicken breast.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Add shredded cheese on top and bake for 4 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALSA CHICKEN
I like to serve it with just a big leafy green salad for when we’re counting carbs, but if not, Fiesta Rice is the way to go. It’s SO GOOD! Just as well, I can’t forget this Coconut Lime Cauliflower Rice – it always hits the spot.
Also, you can shred the cooked chicken breasts, mix everything together, and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Shredded chicken is great for using in tacos, burritos, and on top of salads.
MORE BAKED CHICKEN DINNERS
- One Dish Chicken Bake
- Caprese Balsamic Baked Chicken
- Chicken Breasts in Tomato Sauce
- Bruschetta Stuffed Balsamic Chicken
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Baked Salsa Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups Chunky Salsa <-- click for Homemade Salsa Recipe (you can also use store-bought Chunky Salsa)
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese, (I use a mix of white and yellow cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness and season with cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until just browned.
- Spread about 1/2 cup salsa on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Arrange browned chicken breasts on top of salsa and add the remaining salsa over the chicken breasts.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use a thermometer to check for doneness - chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.