Quick one-skillet dinner with pan seared chicken breasts! Cooked in a flavorful and creamy tomato sauce with capers, this easy chicken recipe takes only 30 minutes to make.
Tomato Sauce Chicken
Tender chicken breasts in a yummy tomato sauce that includes wine and light cream and capers!
This amazing skillet chicken recipe only requires a handful of pantry ingredients + wine. It tastes like your favorite restaurant meal, only THIS was prepared by YOU in your own kitchen!
Making this Chicken in Tomato Sauce Recipe actually makes me feel like a real chef. A chef who doesn’t follow the rules and just goes with whatever I-have-a-taste-for-feeling that comes to mind.
Our tomato sauce chicken is so deliciously tangy and savory and sweet, has a deep and creamy texture, thanks to the half and half + wine, and it’s super good.
It reminds me of my One Dish Chicken Bake, except for the fact that this recipe is prepared on the stovetop, plus it includes a whole bunch of more amazing ingredients that I *think* you’ll appreciate.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BREASTS IN TOMATO SAUCE
- The chicken breasts are rubbed with seasonings and pan seared for about 3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- We then add some butter, onions, and garlic to the skillet, and follow up with wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, capers, and half & half.
- Chicken breasts will be added back into the skillet and cooked for an additional 8 minutes so that all the flavors blend well together and we end up with a juicy and tender chicken dinner.
For a light meal, serve this with a side of a big Avocado and Feta Kale Salad – it’s SO GOOD! Or, you can also serve it over pasta, veggies, and/or rice.
WANT MORE STOVETOP CHICKEN RECIPES?
- One Pan Chicken Piccata and Rice<
- Skillet Chicken in White Wine Sauce
- Skillet Catalina Chicken
- Chicken Marengo
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Chicken in Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14 ounces) no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup half & half you can also use light cream, heavy cream, or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Season chicken with dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken breasts from skillet; set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt.
- Add diced onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the wine to dissolve the brown pieces found at the bottom of the skillet; continue to cook for 4 minutes, or until reduced.
- Mix in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, half & half, and capers.
- Place chicken back in the skillet.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.