The classic combination of honey and mustard smothered all over tender chicken breasts and baked to succulent perfection. A wonderful throw-together baked chicken dinner that’s easy to make and healthy!
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
Juicy and flavorful chicken breasts cooked in the most delicious honey mustard sauce.
Honey mustard chicken has a sweet and tangy flavor with a slightly savory taste from the chicken. The honey provides a sweet, floral note, while the mustard adds a sharp, acidic taste and tenderizes the meat as it flavors it. Combining these two ingredients creates a unique and delicious taste that pairs well with the richness of the chicken.
Honey mustard chicken can be described as flavorful, slightly sweet, and savory. Crispy golden brown skin, a bright, flavorful sauce, and a side salad are all you should want with this dinner. You don’t need much else when simple ingredients and baked chicken breasts are this perfect.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- my homemade Chicken Seasoning Blend: the best!
- olive oil
- dijon mustard
- yellow mustard
- wholegrain mustard
- white vinegar
- fresh rosemary: optional
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken
- First, prepare the honey mustard sauce: combine olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard, yellow mustard, vinegar, and paprika in a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- A) Arrange the chicken breasts in a baking dish, pour the sauce over the chicken, and pop it in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Or B) Brown chicken breasts in a skillet first, just for a few minutes on each side. Then, transfer the chicken to a baking dish, pour the sauce over the chicken, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs
Absolutely, but cooking times will vary. Use an instant read thermometer to check for doneness – safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 165° Fahrenheit, or 75° Celsius.
Honey mustard chicken breasts can be served in a variety of ways, depending on personal preferences and the occasion. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve it with a side of loaded mashed cauliflower, or with this Spring Vegetable Potato Salad for a healthy and well balanced meal.
- Serve it with rice, quinoa, or roasted potatoes for a filling meal.
- In a sandwich: Slice the chicken and serve it in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. Add some cheese or avocado for an extra boost of flavor.
- In a salad: Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to a salad for a protein boost. The honey mustard flavor pairs well with most salad dressings.
Word of advice; you might want to double this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken recipe to be sure that you have enough for everyone to have seconds – it’s THAT good! I mean, what is better than saucy, tangy, sweet and savory chicken for dinner? Exactly!
How To Store Leftovers
- Store chicken in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
More Mustard Chicken Recipes
- One Pan Maple Mustard Chicken and Potatoes
- Crock Pot Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- One Skillet Dijon Chicken with Mushrooms
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) chicken seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat 1½ tablespoon olive oil in a skillet.
- Season chicken breasts all over with the chicken seasoning blend and add chicken breasts to the skillet; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare the honey mustard sauce and combine 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, honey, yellow mustard, dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard, white vinegar, and paprika in a small mixing bowl; whisk until well combined.
- Transfer chicken breasts from the skillet to the baking dish.
- Pour the prepared honey mustard sauce over the chicken breasts, turning the chicken over to cover each chicken breast entirely.
- Arrange sprigs of rosemary between the chicken breasts.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size/thickness of the chicken. Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness – chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature registers at 165˚F.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Chicken: I suggest using chicken breasts for this recipe, but if you want to try it with chicken thighs, remember to give it a little more time to bake. To avoid dry or undercooked chicken, use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness.
- Chicken Seasoning Blend: If you do not want to use my chicken seasoning blend, go ahead and use your favorite herbs and spices for chicken breasts.
- Mustards: This is the best blend of mustards I have found to work for this particular recipe. You can use just one or two of the suggested mustards, but I recommend trying this recipe with all three.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.