This comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Breast recipe is tender, healthy, and as simple as could be. Made with a flavorful blend of herbs and spices, it’s guaranteed to turn out perfectly juicy and delicious each and every time.
Chicken is so versatile, especially this super easy crockpot chicken recipe. It can be used in a wide variety of dishes, from Chicken Enchiladas to this Mango Chicken Salad or our fantastic Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Having cooked chicken breasts on hand is excellent for meal prepping, as it saves time and money by simplifying meal preparation.
Why I Love Crockpot Chicken
- Easy. Just place the chicken in the cooker, set the time, and let it do its magic. It’s almost completely hands-off, making it perfect for busy days.
- Flavorful. This cooking method ensures that the chicken breasts come out juicy and tasty.
- Versatile. Crockpot chicken is extremely adaptable. It’s perfect for shredding and freezing, and you can use it in various dishes, whether adding it to sandwiches, soups, tacos, or pasta.
- Healthy and Nutritious: Chicken breast is known for being a healthy source of protein. Cooking it in a slow cooker helps retain its nutrients, making it a healthy option for any meal.
- Meal Prep Friendly. This chicken is a dream for getting ahead. Cook a batch and you have a ready-to-use protein for different meals throughout the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Broth: Low sodium chicken broth is my go-to, but you can also use regular chicken broth, bone broth, veggie broth, or even just water!
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless breasts are what I use in this recipe.
- Olive Oil: Any mild oil works in this recipe.
- Herbs and Spices: Sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, and dried oregano.
- Salt and Pepper
- Garnish: Fresh chopped parsley makes a great garnish, if you are serving the chicken right away.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
Have you ever heard of a “dump and go” recipe? Well, this is definitely in that category! All you have to do is put your ingredients in, and let the crockpot do the rest.
- Prepare the Crockpot and the Chicken Breasts. Pour the broth into the insert of your slow cooker. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and rub them with olive oil.
- Season the Chicken. Mix salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano in a small bowl. Rub this seasoning mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Cook. Place the chicken in the slow cooker, cover with the lid, and let it cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Chicken is done when the internal temperature of the chicken registers at 165˚F.
- Rest and Serve. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and set it on a clean cutting board. Let the chicken rest for 5 to 8 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Browning: If you’d like a bit of browning on the chicken, put it under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes after it’s done cooking.
- Meat Thermometer: This kitchen tool is super-handy when cooking meat. It will help ensure that your chicken is safely done without overcooking. Chicken is cooked through when its internal temperature registers at 165˚F.
- Brine with Salt: Try sprinkling your chicken with salt 10 to 15 minutes before cooking. This is a type of dry brining – the salting process helps the meat turn out extra flavorful. If you decide to brine it, reduce the amount of salt used in the seasoning mix.
- Using Frozen Chicken Breasts: Technically, yes, you can use frozen chicken in the slow cooker however, frozen chicken is not recommended by some slow cooker manufacturers, so I recommend using thawed chicken breasts here. OR, check your slow cooker’s manual for safe handling.
Chicken pairs perfectly with just about anything, but I love it with my favorite Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes or with these Roasted Potatoes and Carrots. You could also add a healthy kick to your meal with my Perfect Grilled Zucchini, or wrap it up in a Naan and top it off with a Green Goddess Salad.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Store cooked chicken breasts in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
- To reheat, put it in the microwave or a 350˚F oven until it is heated through. You can also reheat on the stovetop in a covered skillet. Whichever method you choose, be sure not to overcook it, or it will be dry.
Easy Chicken Recipes
- Oven Fried Chicken Breasts
- Balsamic Marinated Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Roast Chicken
- Hot Honey Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth, or you can also use water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish, optional
- Pour water or chicken broth inside the insert of your slow cooker.
- Pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the seasoning mixture.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, or until internal temperature of the chicken registers at 165˚F. Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness.
- Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and let the chicken rest for about 5 to 8 minutes before cutting and serving.
- If you’d like a bit of browning on the cooked chicken, put it under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes after you cooked it in the slow cooker.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.