These Oven Fried Chicken Breasts are a healthy twist on a comfort food classic. Baked with green beans, these crispy baked chicken breasts are an easy dinner for any night of the week.
Easy & Healthy Oven Fried Chicken
There is nothing I love more than recreating a healthier version of my favorite classic comfort foods – except maybe weeknight dinners that come together quickly.
These oven fried baked chicken breasts are both of those things. They are a twist on your favorite fried chicken, with a crispy breading and savory seasoning, but this time they’re baked instead of fried. The magic is in the fact that, though this chicken is baked, it tastes fried. Not only that, but when you take a bite of the perfectly juicy and super crispy chicken, it FEELS fried.
I love all baked chicken but sometimes you just need that fried chicken feeling. That’s exactly what you get with this baked fried chicken! Until I perfected this recipe, I never knew baked chicken could be so crispy! Now it’s become a staple in my house.
To keep with the theme of easy dinners, I decided to take full advantage of this recipe and bake some green beans with the chicken. The end result is a complete and healthy sheet pan dinner that’s ready in no time.
What You’ll Need
This oven fried chicken and green beans sheet pan dinner uses simple seasonings and ingredients to make crispy, juicy chicken and perfectly seasoned green beans.
- Chicken breasts – I use boneless, skinless breasts. You’ll need approximately 1 1/2 pounds for this recipe.
- Cornflakes – For the crispy breading. You can also use breadcrumbs.
- Seasonings – I use a combination of paprika and garlic powder, plus dried herbs and salt and pepper. You can use your choice of dried herbs.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is used in the dredge to help it stick to the chicken as well as to season the green beans.
- Plain yogurt – Instead of an egg mixture, I use yogurt.
- Apple cider vinegar – Mixes with the yogurt to help create the crispy outside.
- Cooking spray – Spraying the chicken breasts helps crisp the outside and gives them the “fried” feel.
- Garlic – To season the green beans.
- Fresh green beans – Green beans are cooked on the baking sheet to make this a complete sheet pan dinner.
How To Make Oven Fried Chicken Breasts
This baked fried chicken comes together in a few easy steps and the green beans take just minutes to prepare. How much easier can dinner get?!
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 425˚F and prepare the baking sheet with foil and cooking spray.
- Prepare the seasonings and dredge. Combine the cornflakes and seasonings in a bowl, then add half of the olive oil. In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt, apple cider vinegar and water.
- Dredge the chicken. Coat the chicken with the yogurt mixture, then dredge in the cornflake mixture. Transfer to the baking sheet and generously spray with cooking spray.
- Bake. Bake the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the green beans. While the chicken is baking, combine the green beans, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to incorporate.
- Add the green beans and continue baking. Flip the chicken breasts and add the green beans to the baking sheet. Cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Tips for Success
For juicy and crispy baked chicken breasts, keep these tips in mind! They’re simple but will make a big difference!
- How to tell when chicken breasts are done baking. Chicken is done when internal temperature registers at 165˚F. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- Remove the green beans. If the green beans are done before the chicken; remove the beans from the sheet pan and continue to cook the chicken.
- Use your favorite herbs. In addition to the garlic and paprika, you can add any dried herbs you like to this chicken. Rosemary, thyme, and oregano are all great options, or you could use a dried Italian seasoning mix.
- Leave space on the baking sheet. Be sure not to crowd the chicken on the baking sheet as you want air to reach each side and crisp the edges.
What to Serve with Oven Fried Chicken
This baked chicken is best when served immediately, as that’s when the outside will be the crispiest. Since it’s baked with green beans, this is essentially a chicken sheet pan dinner and you don’t need to add much to it! In fact, if you’re going for a light and healthy meal, no need to add anything else.
If you want a heartier (but still healthy!) dinner, add some potatoes to the side. A few of my favorite potato side dishes to serve with this include:
- Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Maple Mustard Roasted Potatoes
- Lemon Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
How to Store Leftovers
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- I highly recommend reheating them in the oven – just baked them again at 250˚F to ensure they stay crispy and juicy.
- You can also reheat them in the microwave but be aware they won’t be as crispy.
- Leftover baked chicken makes a great addition to salads, wraps and sandwiches!
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, you can freeze your baked chicken breasts.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store in reusable freezer bags for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in the oven.
Oven Fried Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (about 1½ pounds of chicken)
- 4 cups corn flakes, crushed, (you can also use breadcrumbs)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried herbs, (use your preferred herbs)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- cooking spray for chicken breasts
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil, grease with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a bowl combine crushed cornflakes, dried herbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; mix to combine.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and water. Whisk until combined.
- Add chicken breasts to the yogurt mixture and toss until coated.
- Dredge chicken breasts in the cornflake mixture, pressing with your fingers to adhere.Transfer coated chicken to previously prepared baking sheet.
- Generously spray the chicken breasts with cooking spray.
- Put in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl combine the trimmed green beans, minced garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss to incorporate.
- Pull out the baking sheet from the oven, flip over the chicken breasts, and make room for the green beans. Add green beans to the baking sheet.
- Continue to bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Chicken is done when internal temperature registers at 165˚F. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Please use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness.
- If the green beans are done before the chicken; remove the beans from the sheet pan and continue to cook the chicken.
- Let chicken rest for 5 to 8 minutes, before cutting.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.