Slow Cooker Coq au Vin – A classic French winter stew with chicken, vegetables, potatoes and mushrooms cooked in a delicious wine sauce.
Coq Au Vin is a classic French dish that involves cooking, or braising roosters in wine. You read that correctly – ROOSTERS. Luckily, today we’re not cooking roosters in our COQ au Vin – just some chicken breasts. We’ve evolved, clearly. 😁
Slow Cooker Coq au Vin
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 4 (1 pound) chicken breasts (you can also use chicken legs and/or chicken thighs)
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 large carrots , sliced into rounds
- 2 small yellow onions , quartered
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound small red potatoes , cut into 1/8ths
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups pinot noir
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- In a large skillet cook the bacon to a desired crispness; remove from pan and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Break up bacon in pieces when cool enough to handle.
- Add green onions to bacon fat and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan with bacon fat and butter; brown chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Arrange carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes and garlic in the slow cooker; season with salt, black pepper and stir around.
- Add chicken and skillet drippings to slow cooker and layer the crumbled bacon and green onions on top.
- Pour in chicken broth and wine. Add thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 1/2 hours.
- This part is optional, but follow it if you want a thicker sauce. IF you DO NOT want to thicken the sauce, continue to cook the dish for 6 hours.Remove 3 tablespoons liquid from slow cooker into a mixing bowl; whisk in the cornstarch until smooth. Pour into the slow cooker and stir until well combined.
- Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- When time is up, remove chicken and transfer to a cutting board; cut it up in pieces or shred it.
- Stir chicken back into the slow cooker and serve.