Crock Pot Chicken Quinoa Enchiladas Casserole – Packed with chicken, tomatoes, quinoa, and more, this enchiladas casserole is healthy, delicious, and it’s prepared in the slow cooker.
HI, friends! Happy Sunday! Say HELLO to all these layers of love up in here! Oh my gooodnesss WHAAAT!? Yep. There’s layers in this pot, and they’re so, so delicious! AND very healthy. Cheese is also involved.
This is a sponsored post by Hunt’s tomatoes. All opinions are 100% my own.
You know when they say that if you really, really love something, you have to let it go? That’s just the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard! seriously. WHY would I want to let go of something I love? Just because IT wants to go? Pffft!
For instance, I LOVE tomatoes. I love their scent, the flavor, the juice. All of it. And just because I can’t get to my mother’s summery garden-grown tomatoes in March, that doesn’t mean that I have to let them GO. It means, I have to turn to my canned pal, Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes, and enjoy the same freshness, flavor, 100% natural and non-GMO tomatoes any time of the year.
ALSO! Hunt’s cans their diced, whole, and stewed tomatoes within hours after harvest. And prior to canning, Hunt’s peels their diced, whole, AND stewed tomatoes using a process called FlashSteam™ which uses steam from simple hot water. There are companies that use *lye (a chemical) to peel their tomatoes, and Hunt’s just uses FlashSteam™, a.k.a. steam from hot water.
FYI: *Lye peeling is recognized as safe by the FDA and has no adverse effects on the healthfulness of tomatoes.
Crock Pot Chicken Quinoa Enchiladas Casserole
Having said that, I think you already know where this is going. You know my tricks. You know the cooking games I play around here. I grab several good-for-us ingredients, throw them over some chicken, grab the lid, and let the crock pot do what it was hired to do.
This time, I also ditched rolling the tortillas with all the stuffing, and just stacked the flour tortillas in layers underneath all that goodness, thus the name “casserole”. It might look like the lazy way out, but that’s not it. I’m just looking for shortcuts that will truly help out all of you that want home cooked meals, but can’t find the time to make it happen.
Lastly, I topped our enchiladas casserole with cheese and the result was a perfect weeknight or weekend meal to serve to your family, and friends, too!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Hunt's Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can black beans , well rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels , rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa , rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin , or to taste
- 1 (10-oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium , fat free chicken broth
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 6 to 8 (8-inch) low-carb whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley , for garnish, optional
- diced avocado , for serving, optional
- sour cream , for serving, optional
- Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet.
- Add onions and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and ground chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tomatoes, black beans, corn, quinoa, prepared ground chicken, chili powder, ground cumin, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, salt, and pepper; mix everything until well incorporated.
- Lightly grease crock pot with cooking spray.
- Arrange 2 flour tortillas on the bottom of your crock pot.
- Layer about 1/3 of the prepared quinoa mixture over the flour tortillas.
- Repeat layers; ending with quinoa mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook on HIGH for 2.5 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 4 hours.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, avocado and sour cream.
WW SMART POINTS: 14
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy