This post is sponsored by STAR FINE FOODS, maker of awesome Olive Oils, Vinegars, glazes, capers, anchovies, onions, and the list goes ON and ON! Thank YOU, friends, for supporting the brands that make Diethood possible!
Basil Pesto Spaghetti Squash Pasta – An easy and healthy spaghetti squash pasta dinner tossed with basil pesto and sun dried tomatoes.
HEY YA! Happy Monday! It’s a meatless one, but once you dig into this spaghetti squash pasta, meat will be the last thing on yo mind. It’s really, really GOOD!
You know what I’ve realized? So long as there’s fresh mozzarella and pesto, I would eat grasshoppers if they were wrapped in it. Kinda gross, I know, but I’d do it.
In related news, I just spent the last 10.5 minutes browsing the internet for an answer to how many servings of spaghetti squash am I allowed to eat. Answer: A lot. Just as long as there’s nothing else in it. 😒 Bo-ring.
Spaghetti squash diet aside, I am currently content with said squash in pasta form twirled around in basil pesto, sun dried tomatoes and cheeeeez. It’s the reasonable and fair way to enjoy good-for-you food.
Besides, this is packed with healthful Vitamin A, fiber and potassium, and since it’s free of gluten, you can eat all of it in just one sitting. KIDDING! A little…
To kick things up a notch, I decided to add a drizzle of STAR’s Olive Oil with Fresh Basil. The fact that it’s packed with fresh basil leaves feels like a bonus. The fresh flavor of basil and its sweet aroma pairs perfectly with our squash pasta.
For all of this to start to come together, I am first going to need you to hop over to my recipe for how to cook spaghetti squash in a microwave. It’s super easy. Just 14-ish minutes and it’s done.
While all that is happening, you’ll just mince some garlic, combine it with a bit of olive oil, basil pesto and sun dried tomatoes. As soon as the squash is cool enough to handle, you’ll scrape out the “spaghetti” and toss it with the prepared pesto.
Now I’m gonna be real wiCH you. One whole half of the squash filled me up. Full 2 servings of it with all the wonderful mix of cheese and sun dried tomatoes was plenty and I didn’t need anything else. My husband was also content, but two hours later, if that, he was rummaging through the fridge and pantry looking for grub… more like, he was looking for a steak. 😀
However, with only around 325 calories per serving, you can definitely add more to that dinner plate. My suggestion? chicken + salad! I’m full of great ideas, ain’t I?! 😉
STAR Basil Infused Olive Oil is available at select Raley’s, Save Mart and Food Lion stores and ONLINE.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Basil Pesto Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- 3 pounds spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon STAR Olive Oil with Fresh Basil , divided
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 4 ounces thin slices of fresh mozzarella
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a skilet; add garlic and cook for 20 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Stir in basil pesto; cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Carefully remove squash from microwave and let stand few minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Take a fork and peel the spaghetti strands over the prepared pesto; gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the squash pasta back into the squash "boats", top with cheese, and put it under the broiler for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from broiler, drizzle with remaining olive oil and serve.