Your Thanksgiving Menu needs this amazing Shepherd’s Pie Recipe with layers of meat and vegetables, and a delicious mashed sweet potato topping.
Friends, today we are going to discuss a serious issue that affects millions of Americans.
Statistics always blow me away.
Did you know that in the United States millions are struggling with hunger every day? HUNGER! In fact, 1 in 6 people will not see a meal today. According to Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity, more than one out of five children live in a household with food insecurity, which means they don’t always know where they will find their next meal.
My heart breaks when I hear things like this. I can’t believe that I can have 10 meals today and take that for granted. Ugh… I feel awful.
For this reason, I teamed up with a group of amazing bloggers and our great sponsors to bring you this delicious Thanksgiving Potluck, as well as focus your attention to a serious issue that we must deal with, and help.
Feeding America is on a mission to feed the hungry through a network of food banks and to get people involved in the fight against hunger. In fact, they help and provide food to over 37 millions Americans each year. Furthermore, Feeding America teaches our elected officials about the impact of food insecurity in their communities and how to identify and advance policy solutions to help hungry families.
I am SO thankful that organizations such as Feeding America exist because they are able to provide nutritious foods to people struggling with hunger and safe places for children to have a meal. They also offer emergency assistance for disaster victims, as well as a chance at self-sufficiency for adults trying to break the cycle of poverty and hunger.
If you want to help, and if you can help, please visit their website and see what you can do. Let’s Take Action, together and help our fellow Americans – no one should ever go hungry.
Before you leave, please scroll down and visit the rest of the Thanksgiving Potluck Participants. Also, don’t forget to enter our fabulous Giveaway sponsored by Anolon and Wusthof!
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- butter for dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1- pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 bag (12-ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 small whole sweet potatoes)
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4- ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Butter an 8-inch pie dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground meat and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in frozen vegetables (do not thaw) and continue to cook until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, prepare the sweet potatoes by placing the cubed potatoes in a microwave safe dish.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 4-1/2 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove and season with salt and pepper.
- Add butter and cream cheese.
- Mash until smooth; set aside.
- Season meat mixture with salt and pepper.
- In a separate cup, combine chicken broth and flour; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add to meat mixture; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and spoon into previously prepared pie dish.
- Spread sweet potato mixture on top.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Erin from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts made Pumpkin Pie
Erin from Texanerin Baking made Dulce de Leche Apple Streusel Bars
Caroline from Chocolate & Carrots made Sweet Potato Biscuits with Cranberry Jam
Katrina from In Katrina’s Kitchen made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
Christina from Dessert for Two made Mini Pumpkin Pies
Sally from Sally’s Baking Addiction made Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes
Tracey from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures made Butternut Squash, Apple and Potato Gratin with Cheddar Crumb Topping
Georgia from The Comfort of Cooking made Spiced Caramel-Apple Crumb Bars
Rachel from Rachel Cooks made Brussels Sprout Salad with Apples and Cranberries
Gina from Running to the Kitchen made Green Beans with Cranberries, Bacon, & Goat Cheese
Carla from Carla’s Confections made Spinach Mashed Potatoes
Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food made Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Liz from The Lemon Bowl made Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake made Spinach Salad with Pears, Cranberries and Candied Pecans
Megan from Wanna Be A Country Cleaver made Roasted Potatoes with Bacon Parmesan Vinaigrette
Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic made Mini Apple Pies
Powered by PromoSimple.