Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe – This Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe packs all of its delicious flavors into a one pot meal that is warm, comforting, and SO flavorful!
There is 557,000 Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes on Google… what’s one more?! AND St. Paddy’s Day is just 5 days away so this is my contribution to the celebration! Along with;
- Dublin Coddle
- Soda Bread
- Authentic Irish Coffee
- Irish Martini and
- these Fudge Brownies with Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting
But, you guyyyys! Hiii! Or, as the Irish would say, Dia Duit! How’s she cuttin’?! C’mere till a tell ya, tell me this n tell me na more! ⬅ A few things that my Irish uncle says. And, to be quite frank, I can hardly understand him! shhhh! I just nod and smile.
He feels the same way when we speak Macedonian, so it’s all good. No harm done!
There’s a very specific sort of cooking strategy that runs through my brain every time I stare into my refrigerator and try to figure out what to make, especially around a Holiday. Most times I’ll find 6 carrots, 4 potatoes, some celery, broccoli, parsley, half of a cabbage, etc…
P.S. I have a 4 year old that is straight up obsessed with vinegar and oil coleslaw, thus we always have cabbage on hand. Or half of one.
So as my brain is trying to process all of this, I start to pray that the corned beef brisket is still in the freezer, and that I have enough time to call my Irish relative to get the most authentic Irish recipe for said corned beef. Finally, I pray that maybe, just maybe I can produce a successful Corned Beef and Cabbage and share it with my internets friends.
And here I am!
I’mma need to backtrack for a sec about that authentic deal. My relative says, “every Irish will tell you that their recipe is the most authentic; don’t believe ’em, because they’re all bloody “authentic.” So there you go… that’s my disclaimer, and it’s not in fine print.
HOW TO MAKE CORNED BEEF CABBAGE
Moving right along, I am going to need you to get a corned beef brisket (hopefully one that comes with its own peppercorns!), I will also ask you to grab the taters, the carrots, onions, and cabbage.
Please grab a large pot, place brisket in there, pour some broth or water over it (a bottle of Guinness, too, if you want!) and let it go for some time. You will then add in the rest of the ingredients and wait for the awesome flavors to come together.
When it’s all set and done, call over several people to help you grub on all this Corned Beef and Cabbage deliciousness!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 3 Pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 pound carrots
- 3 pounds small potatoes , peeled
- 2 large onions , cut into wedges
- 1 green cabbage , cut into wedges
- Place brisket in a large dutch oven or stock pot.
- Season with spice packet, bay leaves, coriander seed, mustard seed, salt and pepper.
- Cover with water. You can also use a combination of beef broth and a bottle of Guinness.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer; cook covered for about 30 minutes, or just until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Add onions and cabbage to the pot and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until onions and cabbage are tender.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 11
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy