Smashed Brussel Sprouts are crunchy, sweet, and delicious brussel sprouts drizzled with a flavorful balsamic glaze! This easy brussel sprouts recipe is the perfect holiday side dish!
Looking for more brussel sprouts recipes? Try my oven roasted brussel sprouts with honey balsamic glaze!
CRISPY SMASHED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Your new favorite way to eat Brussel Sprouts in 3…2…1: SMASHED!
Yep, smashed brussel sprouts, friends, is the new smashed potatoes and they couldn’t be tastier. This delicious side dish is a must for the Holidays, or for any time of the year.
And, not only are brussel sprouts delicious (YES, they are, haters 😆) but they are also a good source of protein, iron, and potassium. 🙌
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Garlic roasted SMASHED brussels sprouts finished off with a balsamic reduction results in a sweet, caramelized perfection that will enhance any main dish.
There’s 3 steps to making this tasty dish and those steps include; boil, smash, and bake.
- First, you take the brussels sprouts and boil them for 10 minutes.
- Then, transfer drained sprouts to a baking sheet and smash them with the bottom of a jar.
- Season and roast for 20 minutes, or until the edges crisp up.
- In the meantime prepare the balsamic glaze by reducing Balsamic Vinegar down to about half and thickened.
- Remove brussels sprouts from oven; drizzle with balsamic glaze, and serve. If counting carbs, leave out the balsamic glaze.
HOW TO PREPARE BRUSSEL SPROUTS FOR COOKING
- To prepare brussels sprouts for cooking, first, you want to trim off the bottoms and then peel away the outer leaves.
- Also, do not wash brussel sprouts until you’re ready to cook with them. Even then you don’t have to wash them because by peeling off the top leaves, you are essentially cleaning them.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE BRUSSEL SPROUTS?
- If brussel sprouts are raw, keep them in the fridge inside the crisper drawer until ready to use.
- If brussel sprouts are cooked, make sure they are completely cooled before storing them in an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat leftover brussels sprouts, spread them on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes at 350˚F.
CAN YOU MAKE SMASHED BRUSSEL SPROUTS AHEAD OF TIME?
- Absolutely, yes. However, I will also say that if you want to serve them crunchy and fresh, you should partially roast them for about 12 minutes, cool, and keep in the fridge until ready to use. When ready, finish roasting the brussel sprouts right before you are going to serve them.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
- Instant Pot Creamy Brussel Sprouts
- Crispy Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Cheese
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey Balsamic Glaze
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Easy Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- 2 pounds Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and outer leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups good quality balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add in the brussels sprouts.
- Cook the brussels sprouts in boiling water until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes, depending on their size.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Lightly pat dry the brussel sprouts with paper towels and transfer to previously prepared baking sheet.
- Toss with olive oil and garlic.
- Smash each of the brussel sprouts using the bottom of a small jar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bottoms are crispy.
- Add balsamic vinegar to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until bubbling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until reduced by half and thickened, stirring frequently.
- Drizzle with prepared balsamic glaze.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 4
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
11 comments on “Easy Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze”
This looks really amazing! Such an easy and delicious side dish for the holidays!
Brussel sprouts are my favorite! These look AMAZING!!
Such a tasty side dish! We loved how easy they were to make and the flavor was outstanding!
Sounds amazingly delicious! So perfect for autumn side dish!
What a side dish!
Everyone needs to give thus a try. You will not be disappointed!!
These are so yummy! Like smashed potatoes but even better because they are low carb. These are my new favorite side.
These are so good. They are crunchy and so packed with flavor.
Not a huge fan of brussel sprouts here, but I think this recipe may have changed my mind! So incredibly tasty, & I loved the crunch!
This will make your family eat all their veggies without you having to nag them about it. Total mom win!
I love all the flavors and the crunch to the recipe! Also, thank you for that tidbit about washing the brussel sprouts or even not having too. I didn’t realize that!