Sweet Potato Roast with Parsley Pesto – Tender, extra-flavorful roasted sweet potatoes with olive oil, a touch of butter, fragrant spices, and topped with the most delicious parsley pesto.
SWEET POTATO ROAST
Smoky and sweet thinly sliced sweet potatoes served with parsley pesto. These are going to be your new favorite side dish.
IF there’s one side dish that needs to seriously be at the center of your Holiday table, then, tah-daaaaahm! This Sweet Potato Roast with Parsley Pesto will be king!
I’m so thrilled that today’s post is post is sponsored by my favorite spice makers and gourmet-food Gods, Private Selection. Virtual high-five to them and their exceptional palate.
SPICE BLENDS FOR SWEET POTATOES
Remember couple months back when we discussed the amazing Barbecue Pineapple and Pork Skewers? And how I told you about Private Selection’s Spice Blends, including:
- Egyptian Inspired Dukkah Blend
- Middle Eastern Inspired Baharat Blend
- African Inspired Berbere Blend
- Caribbean Inspired Adobo Blend
- African Inspired Ras El Hanout Blend
Okay, good! So, for those pork skewers, I used the Caribbean Inspired Adobo Blend and they were simply wonderful. Juicy and flavorful, could not stop at just one skewer.
This time around, I really wanted to try something different, and I chose to make this Sweet Potato Roast with Private Selection’s African Inspired Berbere Blend. It is a dry powder spice mix of Ethiopian origin and can be easily used in any dish.
Potatoes side dishes are not always my thing, but I made these my thing by spicing them up with the berbere blend and adding parsley pesto on top… it’s incredible. The whole thing is just one big pile of amazing food.
It has spicy, sweet, comfort food written all over it. And bonus! It is uniquely flavored and your guests will be raving about this to all their cousins and neighbors. Pinky swear.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO ROAST
This recipe is fairly easy – just requires you to toss some sliced sweet potatoes with a delicious olive oil blend AND make your own parsley pesto. E-Z. Trust me.
While the potatoes are roasting, you will combine the parsley, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, and berbere blend in a food processor. A blend or two later, you will end up with this gorgeous pesto that will accompany the even more beautiful sweet potato roast.
Private Selection’s African Inspired Berbere Blend can be added directly to just about anything. Mix just a bit into prepared pasta sauce, or mix it directly into meatballs. Add a bit to ground beef when browning it for tacos. Use it as a spice rub for some baby back ribs, some steaks, or chicken.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
MORE THANKSGIVING SIDE DISHES
- Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Honey Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Vegetables
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Sweet Potato Roast with Parsley Pesto
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Private Selection African Inspired Berbere Blend
- salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE PARSLEY PESTO
- 2 cups packed Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup fancy shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Private Selection African Inspired Berbere Blend
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine olive oil, melted butter, garlic, berbere blend, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl; stir to combine.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange sweet potato slices in the dish and brush potatoes with the remaining olive oil mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and increase oven temperature to 450F.
- Roast potatoes for an additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly browned.
FOR THE PARSLEY PESTO
- Combine parsley, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, berbere blend, salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until completely combined.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Brush the tops of the prepared sweet potatoes with the parsley pesto OR serve it on the side.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.