Instant Pot Turkey Breast – Tender, succulent, and flavorful turkey breast prepared in the Instant Pot in just around 30 minutes! Juicy and perfectly cooked turkey in no time. Use those delicious dripping juices to make an amazing gravy.
Instant Pot Turkey Breast is a great Holiday dinner option for smaller groups, but also a healthy dinner choice ideal for any night of the week, Holiday or not. It’s easy to make, it’s super quick, it’s great for leftovers, and sandwiches for DAYS. 🙌
However, one of the best things about cooking the turkey breast in the Instant Pot is saving the oven for all the side dishes and pies this Thanksgiving and Christmas! Juicy, perfect turkey made with herbs and seasonings in just a fraction of the time? YES, puh-lease!
This recipe results in moist, tender white meat with a flavorful crispy skin – thanks to the broiler – and an awesome gravy to go with it.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST
- First, grab a 4-pound turkey breast and a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Then, defrost the turkey breast, completely.
- Make a seasoning blend of salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, and fresh herbs.
- Rub olive oil over the entire turkey breast and then rub the seasoning blend all over it.
- Set the Instant Pot to “SAUTÉ” and brown the turkey breast on all sides; this should take about 6 minutes.
- Remove turkey breast; add a cup of chicken broth to the Instant Pot, as well as a halved head of garlic and some fresh herbs. The garlic and herbs are optional, but they do add extra flavor to the overall taste.
- Place the turkey breast on a trivet and put back in the Instant Pot.
- Seal the IP closed; cook on Manual High Pressure for 25 minutes; let the pressure release naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Using a thermometer, please check internal temperature of the turkey breast in its thickest part; it should read 155˚F.
- Take turkey out of the Instant Pot, put it in a baking dish, and set under the broiler for around 8 minutes to get that browned crispy skin.
- Transfer turkey breast to a cutting board; tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
In the meantime, prepare the gravy.
HOW TO MAKE GRAVY IN THE INSTANT POT
- Take the turkey drippings from the Instant Pot and pour into a measuring cup through a mesh sieve; discard all the large pieces and only keep the liquid. Add chicken broth to the turkey drippings to make 2 cups of liquid.
- Return the inner pot to the pressure cooker and set to SAUTÉ. Add butter and whisk in flour; cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the liquid and continue to cook until gravy is thick and smooth. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Transfer gravy to a gravy boat and serve.
This Instant Pot Turkey Breast PLUS my Roast Turkey – we’re having like 20 people this year – has me totally ready for all of it, including teenage cousins, in-laws, AND toddlers. (WHAAAT!?) Perhaps I didn’t think this through? 🤐
Buuuut, we are having mashed potatoes and turkey – all is well with the world.
If you’re looking to cook turkey on a smaller scale, this is your recipe. Print it, pocket it and make it! I had no idea it could be this easy with the pressure cooker!
MORE TURKEY RECIPES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Tender, succulent, and flavorful turkey breast prepared in the Instant Pot in just around 30 minutes!
- 4 pound boneless turkey breast, completely thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped poultry fresh herb mix; rosemary, sage, and thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 whole garlic head, cut in half, crosswise (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, optional
- turkey drippings
- chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Drizzle a little olive oil over the turkey breast and rub it all around; set aside.
Combine herbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, and onion powder in a small mixing bowl; generously season turkey breast with the seasoning blend, rubbing it all around.
Set Instant Pot to SAUTÉ; add remaining olive oil to the instant pot and heat it up.
Add turkey breast to the Instant Pot and sear on all sides; about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Remove turkey breast from Instant Pot and set aside.
Add a cup of chicken broth to the Instant Pot and scrape up all the browned pieces with a wooden spoon.
Add halved head of garlic to the chicken broth, as well as the sprigs of fresh thyme.
Add the Instant Pot's trivet or wire rack to the IP, and place the turkey breast on top.
Close the lid and follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to seal it closed.
Set your IP to the MANUAL setting and set timer for 25 minutes on High Pressure.
Let pressure release naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
Set your oven BROILER on HIGH.
Remove the lid from the instant pot. Take the turkey breast to a roasting pan or baking dish and let stand 5 minutes.
Then, put the roasting pan in the oven and BROIL for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned on top. Watch it closely so it doesn't burn.
Transfer turkey breast to a cutting board and tent with foil; let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. If there's butcher twine/net around the turkey breast, remove it before slicing.
In the meantime, prepare the gravy inside the Instant Pot.
Take the turkey drippings from the Instant Pot and pour into a measuring cup through a mesh sieve; discard all the large pieces and only keep the liquid. Add chicken broth to the turkey drippings to make 2 cups of liquid.
Return the inner pot to the pressure cooker and set to SAUTÉ.
Add butter, melt, and whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute, while constantly stirring.
Whisk in the liquid; continue to whisk and cook until gravy is thickened and smooth; about 2 to 3 minutes.
Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
Transfer gravy to a gravy boat and serve with sliced turkey.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 4
NET CARBS: 4
SLOW COOKER OPTION:
- Place seasoned turkey breast in the slow cooker; cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Using a meat thermometer, check for doneness; thermometer should read 160˚F.
- For crispy browned skin, broil in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
If you would like to cook a larger turkey breast, the general rule of thumb for cooking poultry in the Instant Pot is 6 minutes per pound with a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
*Originally published on November 25, 2014. Updated with new photos and content on November 13, 2019.