Crispy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are a deliciously cheesy potato side dish recipe. These potatoes are incredibly crispy on the outside, but soft and tender on the inside. It’s the perfect side for any dinner.
Crispy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
BEHOLD! My potatoes-obsession returns!!
But, FIRST! Have you watched “The Voice”? You know that one part during “The Battles” where you think it’s all over for one of the contestants, and just as they are to walk off the stage, one of the coaches presses the “Steal” button?
OH, that part makes me ugly-cry each and every time. Like, mouth quivering, tears rolling, throat closing… Buhlieve me… It’s ug.ly.
p.s. I *just* watched The Voice and cried the ugly cry.
Also? You know that one time when your kids stayed up waaaaay past their bedtime – and were jumping off the walls – because you agreed to give them M&M’s an hour before bed time JUST so they would zip it and let you watch 10 MINUTES of The Voice??
Yours didn’t do that???
Mine, either! High-Five! (That’s a dang lie…)
Smashed Potatoes Are One Of My Favorite Side Dish Recipes
Let’s discuss the best smashed potatoes I’ve ever had.
Right around this time, I ALWAYS cozy up back to the potatoes. I’m a carbivore, through and through. I love ’em loaded, but I can definitely enjoy them double baked, crispy and always cheesy.
The real question here is, what do you do with yourself after eating 6 of these smashed potatoes?
Find the nearest treadmill? No. Eat kale? No.
Vegetate on the couch? DING DING DING! And look through the latest
Food Network Vogue Magazine while sipping on lemon water… because lemon water is going to flush out the carbs…
You shush! I like to believe these things – they keep me happy.
How Do You Cook These Parmesan Potatoes?
Look at them… I Love ’em! I just kinda didn’t bake ’em. For the sake of lotsa crispiness and lotsa flavor, I threw them on my griddle pan and gave ’em a crisp they’d never forget!
I’d be okay with you skipping that part and baking them, instead, but for the love of crispiness, do it mah way. It works. And it’s so, so, SO delicious!
- 3- pounds red potatoes , rinsed and dried
- salt for the water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley , for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover the potatoes.
- Season water with salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a colander; drain and wash with cold water.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, smash each potato to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Heat olive oil in the griddle pan.
- Add thyme and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Working in batches, cook the smashed potatoes, turning once, until browned and crispy; about 3 minutes on each side. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving plate, season with salt and pepper, and immediately sprinkle with parmesan cheese; allow to melt.
- Add chopped fresh parsley and serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 5