Garlic Butter Hasselback Potatoes – Perfectly tender hasselback potatoes prepared with delicious garlic butter and a sprinkle of cheese.
Garlic Butter has got to be the butter of the Gods. ❤ And it’s been way too long since we last discussed it ➡ Garlic Butter and Soy Sauce Smashed Potatoes.
But let me wish you a very happy Friday! Hoping your weekend ahead is filled with couch lounging and beer/wine drinking.
Today we’re talking about little taters of garlicky buttery heaven, and the rate of their survival as leftovers will be about 0%. You can count on that.
Sidebar: Newest butter-study suggests that butter ain’t bad at all! In moderation, it’s actually a good thing. Saturated fat is in fact better than processed carbs. Read the Time’s article here.
Also? Remember when they told us that avocados were bad for you? And eggs? Yeah…
ANYWHO! Potatoes and garlic and butter and cheese. Have just one and be done. Or at least try to be done.
HOW TO PREPARE HASSELBACK POTATOES
These hasselback potatoes take a little bit of work in the prep department, but with just one little trick, you should get ’em all done in just a few minutes.
- Since you need to keep the potato intact, without cutting all the way through, I am going to suggest you take two wooden chopsticks, place the potato in between the two, and then start to cut. Once you hit the chopsticks, stop.
- In the meantime, you’ll want to prepare your garlic butter and brush it over the taters before they meet the oven. Another suggestion is to sprinkle the potatoes generously with salt and pepper. I don’t know if it’s just me, and please know that I’m not into salty foods at all, but in potatoes? The more salt, the better. I don’t really like the taste of potatoes which is why I don’t eat them very often, but when I do, salt is my bestie.
Now meet your results ⤴⤴⤴
So many flavors going on there. I’d love to have those for a meal alone. And the texture is spot on, too! Easter side dish, perhaps? WHY NOT!? Serve it with my Balsamic Braised Lamb Shanks! YES! LET’S DO THAT! ☺
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Garlic Butter Hasselback Potatoes
- 6 small russet potatoes , scrubbed, rinsed and dried (do not peel)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup Italian shredded cheese , optional
- fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Grease a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a potato between 2 chopsticks.
- Slice the potato into thin slices, leaving 1/4 inch at the bottom unsliced; the chopsticks will prevent you from slicing the potato all the way through.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-heat in a large nonstick skillet or pan.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring very frequently. DO NOT burn the garlic.
- Brush the prepared garlic butter over the potatoes, making sure to get in between all the slices.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender and crisp. Cooking time will also depend on the size of your potatoes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with parsley, and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
18 comments on “Garlic Butter Hasselback Potatoes”
I would like a picture with the printed recipe, but loved the potatoes!
Am I the only one not getting a photo of these beautiful potatoes when I print the recipe? I would surely love one!
I really want to make these. They look amazing, but am I the only one who missed the part of this that shared the actual baking instructions? (I even the page 4 times looking for “read more” links)
Figures now that I posted a comment… I found what I was looking for
Always happens that way! haha 😀 Glad to know that you found it!
#1 and #9 in the numbered steps should cover your oven needs.
Ok these are the most delicious looking potatoes ever!
I’m a big fan of hasselback potatoes! I say, the more cheese, the better!
I haven’t had garlic butter in far too long and these gorgeous potatoes look like a fantastic reason to dive in again!
These look incredible! Love the chopstick tip!
These might be the most delicious potatoes I’ve ever seen! I want to dig in right now!
These look like an amazing side for any meal! You’re right … garlic butter is *amazing* and makes everything better! Plus, these look simple and fun to make!
Used to make these with my grandma for family gatherings:) have a huge smile on my face now looking at yours. If only I could get my hands on a Skopsko pivo now – these beauties will make the perfect pairing! Love your method of using chopsticks btw!
Pozdrav Milena! Now I’m dreaming of a Skopsko in hand with these taters on the side! 😀 Hopefully I’ll make it happen this summer while I’m in MK! 🙂
Now this is how you eat a potato! Love these!
These look totally amazing!
I love how many ways you can spice these up! This version sounds great!
I made Hasselback potatoes a long time ago. Your recipe has inspired me to make them again. They look amazing. Your photography is very beautiful too.