One Skillet Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus – Delicious, bright, and simple, this lemon chicken recipe is the perfect easy weeknight meal made entirely in just one skillet and in under 30 minutes. The creamy sauce with the seared chicken and asparagus is a mouthwatering combination that everyone loves!
CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN
Creamy Lemon Chicken is super easy and fast to make, and the sauce is absolutely amazing! Prepared with half & half, lemon juice, garlic, and cheese, the creamy lemon sauce makes this meal irresistible!
It’s gourmet food made right at home! It is also one of my personal favorites, right next to that other Creamy Garlic Basil Chicken recipe. Judging by the popularity of that recipe, I know you’ll LOVE this one just as much, if not more.
Then there’s the asparagus, my top choice for a green vegetable in any creamy chicken meal. I like to include it in just about everything else, too, right after my other pick, zee broccoli.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and your choice of dried herbs. Couple teaspoons of Italian Seasoning is a great choice.
- Add chicken to a skillet with warmed olive oil, and cook until done; about 7-ish minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- Remove chicken breasts from skillet and set aside.
HOW TO PREPARE THE ASPARAGUS
- Add butter, onions, and trimmed asparagus to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, or until just tender.
HOW TO MAKE A CREAMY LEMON SAUCE with CHICKEN
- Combine half & half, flour, lemon juice, grated parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Stir the prepared sauce into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet and lower heat to a simmer.
- Continue to cook for few more minutes, or until heated through.
Only one thing left to do – add some lemon slices to our creamy lemon chicken and serve. A sprinkle of parsley + fresh parmesan cheese should also seal the deal.
MORE LEMON CHICKEN RECIPES:
- One Pot Lemon Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- The Best Grilled Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Crock Pot Honey Lemon Chicken
- Lemon Paprika Chicken
- Lemon Pepper Chicken with Creamy Capers Sauce
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #diethood on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
One Skillet Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (1 pound) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound asparagus stalks trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup fat free half & half (you can also use low fat evaporated milk)
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- lemon slices for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- freshly grated parmesan for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning and add to skillet.
- Cook chicken for about 6 minutes per side, or until no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Add asparagus and onions to skillet; cook for 4 minutes, or until just tender.
- In the meantime, combine half & half, flour, cheese, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl; whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the prepared sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Place prepared chicken back in the skillet and lower heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until asparagus is tender and chicken is heated through.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Spoon sauce over chicken breasts and top with lemon slices.
- Garnish with parsley and cheese.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
40 comments on “One Skillet Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus”
I found this recipe because I was looking for a “basic” recipe to make when I had company over. Who doesn’t like lemon garlic chicken? So I made it, and it was a major hit! I couldn’t believe how amazing it tasted. Definitely not just a “basic” meal! So creamy and flavorful and delicious. I’m definitely saving it so I can make it again and again! Bonus: the garnish made this easy meal seem extra fancy to my guests. I got compliments on my “presentation.” 😉
That’s wonderful to hear! I am very happy everyone loved it! Thank you for chiming in! 🙂
Delicious and so easy
This dish was good, however I would omit the paprika and perhaps use different seasoning like thyme and/or dill next time. Great for my husband who is no-carb. I like how easily the sauce evolved. But your prep time is way off. It took much longer than 5 minutes to slice the onion, mince the garlic, prepare the asparagus, squeeze the lemon etc…. Overall a nice dish.!
Christine- I totally know what you mean! Every online recipe seems to do that. They list stuff like, “1 onion, diced” and “6 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed” so that they don’t have to count that stuff in their prep time. I always double whatever prep time is listed!
I came here after googling “recipe for chicken and asparagus.” I had chicken thighs instead of breasts, but had all the other ingredients, so I made it, tossing with pasta at the end. Easy and tasty. Thank you!
can this dish be frozen?
It can, but the cream will separate once defrosted. I suggest to reheat the dish over medium-low heat and whisk in a bit more cream while reheating… whisk the sauce well so that everything comes together and there’s no separation.
Has anyone made this with fish instead? If so what type and what did you have to change with the recipe to do so?
Loved this sauce! Served it over rice. My 9 year pld and the adults loved it. I didn’t have halfnhalf so I used 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 3/4 cup of whole milk. I used a bag of broccoli because I had no asparagus and it still came out great. Definitely saving this one 🙂
We had this tonight and everyone loved it (hubby, 5,8,11 year old). Didn’t have half and half… so used 2 cups of plain greek yogurt (to stretch the sauce) … doubled the asparagus as well. Served it over farro. Yum!
Delicious … I served mine over sautéed zucchini noodles. 😍