Crispy on the outside, steamy on the inside, and lavishly seasoned with garlicky spices, these Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges are a tasty side dish you’ll make again and again!
Sweet Potato Wedges Recipe
Oh, potato wedges, how I love thee. The crispy exterior, coated in savory seasonings, is so deliciously satisfying, perfectly complementing the soft and steamy interior! Sweet potatoes are so good for you, I’m always excited to serve them up, especially in fun ways like this. No offense, sweet potato casserole, I love you, too. These wedges, though, have that great sweet-and-salty appeal, thanks to the natural starchy sweetness of the potatoes plus the salty, garlicky seasoning blend. Perfect as a snack, side dish, or appetizer, these sweet potato wedges offer both taste and nutrition, ready to wow your taste buds in just a few steps.
Why You Should Make Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Nutritious: Sweet potatoes are nutrient-rich, and packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Easy Preparation: Minimal ingredients and a few steps make this a quick and hassle-free potato recipe.
- Versatile Pairing: Serve the sweet potato wedges alongside a variety of main courses or as a standalone snack.
- Taste Explosion: The mix of savory seasonings and natural sweetness is irresistibly delicious.
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Wedges
The cool thing about this recipe is that almost any variety of sweet potatoes will do, from purple to white to classic orange. Just be sure to choose evenly shaped potatoes. Oddly-shaped potatoes are still delicious, don’t get me wrong, but they are harder to cut into wedges.
- Sweet Potatoes: You’ll need about a pound and a half of sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil: Two to three tablespoons, for tossing to coat.
- Italian Seasoning: I use a teaspoon of my favorite Italian seasoning blend, but you could substitute whatever seasonings you like.
- Garlic Powder and Chili Powder: One teaspoon of each really punches up the flavor here!
- Salt & Pepper: I like to use freshly ground black pepper whenever possible.
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Prep Baking Sheet: To keep cleanup to a minimum, line your baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place a wire rack over the baking sheet. Set aside.
- Prep Sweet Potatoes: Cut your sweet potatoes lengthwise into 8 wedges and then, if you prefer, cut those wedges crosswise. Transfer wedges to the wire rack and set aside.
- Season Wedges: In a bowl, combine the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Brush this mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss until they’re evenly coated.
- Bake: Roast the potatoes for 18 minutes. Turn on the broiler and bake for 3 minutes, or until they’re browned and crispy.
- Finish: Remove from the oven. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly. Serve.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400˚F.
- Place seasoned potato wedges in the air fryer basket – do not crowd the basket; cook in batches if you need to.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes; turn the potato wedges over and continue to cook for 10 more minutes or until tender yet crispy.
How To Cut Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cutting potatoes into wedges is easy, especially if you have a sharp knife. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, and then cut each quarter lengthwise in half again to make eight wedges.
- Finally, if you want, you can cut all of those long wedges in half, crosswise, to make smaller wedges.
Tips for The Best Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Want to make sure your wedges have the ultimate flavor? I have some great tips here so that your sweet potato wedges turn out as amazing as possible.
- Play with the Spices: If Italian spices aren’t your favorite, feel free to play around with your seasoning mix! I love using all kinds of herbs and spices, with garlic powder and chili powder as the base.
- Use a Rack: To make sure the texture is as crispy as can be, place an oven-proof rack on the baking sheet. This allows air to circulate all around the wedges, creating a crispier texture.
- Make them Sweet: You can also coat these sweet potatoes with coconut oil, cinnamon, and sugar, for a sweet snack that everyone always loves!
Serving Suggestions For Sweet Potatoes
- Tacos: I think these satisfying potato wedges go perfectly alongside fresh and spicy tacos. Try my Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas Tacos or my Salmon Tacos for a dinner or lunch combo that’s out of this world!
- Burgers: I mean, of course! And for a spin on classic burgers, how about Easy Black Bean Burgers, instead? Turkey Burgers are also a family favorite.
- A Veggie Omelette: This Slow Cooker Veggie Omelette is super easy, as is this Sheet Pan Eggs recipe, and it pairs so nicely with the sweetness of the potato wedges.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To Refrigerate: Place cooled sweet potato wedges in food storage bags or shallow, airtight containers, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- To Freeze: Place cooled wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze until frozen solid, and then transfer to freezer bags. Store in the freezer for up to one month.
- To Reheat: Place the wedges (frozen or refrigerated) on a baking sheet and reheat at 450°F until hot all the way through. Turn once or twice during cooking. Note that it will take longer for frozen wedges to reheat.
Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place an oven rack on the baking sheet and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the potato lengthwise into 8 wedges, and then, if you prefer smaller potatoes, you can cut those wedges in half, crosswise.
- Arrange the sweet potato wedges on top of the oven rack and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper; mix to combine. Brush the seasoned oil mixture over the potato wedges.
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 18 minutes. Turn on the broiler and bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until they're browned and crispy. Keep an eye on them because it's easy to burn when the broiler is on.
- Remove from oven and taste for salt; adjust accordingly.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400˚F.
- Place seasoned potato wedges in the air fryer basket – do not crowd the basket; cook in batches.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes; turn the potato wedges over and continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Serve.
- Seasonings: Feel free to experiment with different spices and seasonings to tailor the flavor to your liking.
- Consistent Sizes: For evenly cooked, crispy wedges, ensure each piece is cut to a similar size. Uniform wedges guarantee consistent cooking and a uniformly crisp and tender result.
- Use a Rack: Place an oven-safe rack over the baking sheet and arrange the sweet potato wedges on the rack. This ensures air circulation for an all-around crispy texture.
- Sweet Version: Make these sweet potatoes even sweeter with a spritz of coconut oil, cinnamon, and sugar, and serve them as a snack or dessert.
- Storage: Store cooled wedges in airtight containers and keep them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze them for up to a month.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.