Enjoy a savory and delightful side dish with our Sweet Potato Roast with Parsley Pesto. This recipe combines roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned with olive oil, a hint of butter, and aromatic spices, and is finished with a deliciously fresh parsley pesto topping for added flavor.
Step into a world of rich flavors and textures with this Sweet Potato Roast, deliciously drizzled with Parsley Pesto. This dish takes the humble sweet potato and elevates it to a festive prop, perfect for gracing your holiday table. Seasoned with a unique blend of spices and topped with a homemade pesto, this recipe will be a showstopper at any gathering!
Why We Love This Sweet Potato Side Dish
- Easy Yet Impressive: Simple to prepare but with a presentation that wows.
- Flavorful: Combining sweet potatoes with the exotic spice blend offers a unique taste experience.
- Versatile Side Dish: Ideal for holiday feasts or as a gourmet addition to any meal.
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Roast
- Sweet Potatoes: Thinly sliced.
- Olive Oil & Butter: Combined for roasting the potatoes.
- Berbere Blend: An Ethiopian spice mix, it infuses the dish with warm flavors.
- Salt & Pepper: For seasoning.
- Italian Parsley: The main ingredient for the pesto.
- Walnuts: Adds texture and a nutty depth to the pesto.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How To Make Sweet Potato Roast
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Seasoning: Mix olive oil, butter, garlic, berbere blend, salt, and pepper. Place 2 tablespoons in a baking dish.
- Roast: Arrange sweet potato slices in the dish, brush with the oil mixture, cover with foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil, increase oven temp to 450°F, and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Make the Pesto: Process parsley, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, olive oil, berbere blend, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Finish: Brush roasted sweet potatoes with pesto or serve it on the side.
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Slice Evenly: For uniform cooking, try to slice the sweet potatoes evenly. A mandolin slicer can be very helpful for this.
- Herb Variations: While parsley is classic for the pesto, feel free to experiment with basil or cilantro for a different flavor profile.
- Berbere Blend: Berbere, known for its spicy chili profile, balances its warmth with a blend of sweet and citrusy notes. It’s not overwhelmingly hot, but offers a subtle spice.
- Spice Mix Substitutes: If Berbere blend is not available, experiment with other spice mixes like chili powder, garam masala, curry powder, paprika, or Cajun seasoning.
- Spice Adjustment: Increase or decrease the amount of berbere blend to suit your taste.
- Experiment with Nuts: Try pine nuts or almonds in the pesto for a different flavor.
- Cheese Varieties: Swap parmesan with pecorino or Asiago cheese.
Serve alongside a traditional stuffing or complement it with warm cornbread. Accompany it with this instant pot turkey breast and offer a side of cranberry sauce. Follow up with classic Thanksgiving desserts like pumpkin pie or pecan pie.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Orange And Pecans Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Roast
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Berbere blend
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups packed Italian parsley
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup fancy shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Berbere blend
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Combine olive oil, melted butter, garlic, berbere blend, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl; stir to combine. Pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in the dish and brush the potatoes with the remaining olive oil mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and increase the oven temperature to 450˚F. Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine parsley, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, berbere blend, salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until thoroughly incorporated. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Brush the tops of the baked sweet potatoes with the parsley pesto, or serve the pesto on the side.
- Even Slices: Use a mandolin slicer to slice the sweet potatoes.
- Herbs: You can use basil or cilantro instead of parsley for the pesto. You can also use store-bought varieties.
- Different Nuts: Try pine nuts or almonds in the pesto for a different flavor.
- Spice Substitutes: If you don’t want Berbere, try other spice mixes like garam masala, curry powder, paprika, or Cajun seasoning.
- Adjust to Taste: Increase or decrease the seasoning to suit your taste.
- Cheese: Swap parmesan with pecorino or Asiago cheese.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.