This Tex-Mex Cheesy Beef Quiche is a fiesta of flavors! My family can’t get enough of this creamy and cheesy Southwestern quiche recipe filled with deliciously seasoned ground beef, sweet tomatoes and a hint of green chilies. It’s a great weeknight meal with the extra promise of tasty leftovers!
Easy Cheesy Tex-Mex Quiche Recipe
I hope you all are ready for a fiesta – of the flavor variety. I’m so in love with this Tex-Mex take on an easy quiche recipe. It’s beefy, it’s cheesy, it’s packed with savory veggies and a hint of chili heat. Pair all this with a light, melt-in-your-mouth egg filling, it’s totally divine!
Seriously, there’s really nothing easier than a simple homemade quiche recipe filled with tasty ingredients. I make this delicious Southwest-inspired quiche on the regular as a weeknight family meal, and can I just say, it’s a winner every time. The kids and hubby can’t get enough, and leftovers are just as delicious the following day!
What is Quiche?
Traditional quiche is made from a creamy and savory egg filling combined with different add-in ingredients, most often baked in a pie crust (though you can have crustless quiche as well!). Add-ins range from meats, seafood, veggies and cheese.
Quiche Lorraine is probably one of the most popular quiche variations, made with bacon and cheese. But you can definitely get creative, like this easy Tex-Mex recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This easy meal idea uses a few token ingredients to get the perfect Tex-Mex flavor:
- Eggs: 4 large eggs will make a decent sized quiche when combined with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pie Crust: Refrigerated pie crust brought to room temperature, or homemade pie crust.
- Ground Beef: One packet of lean beef, so any fat cooks off a bit quicker.
- Green Onions: Also called spring onions; I use only the white parts and slice them up thinly.
- Diced Tomatoes: I use canned diced tomatoes with green chilies. If you don’t have this canned combo available, you can use regular canned tomatoes and chopped fresh green chilies.
- Cream Cheese: For an extra light and airy egg filling, I love using whipped cream cheese. My favorite is the one from Kraft Philadelphia, but any brand will do!
- Shredded Cheese: Grated cheddar is best! If you’re using store bought, I’d recommend the Kraft Mexican Style Taco Shredded Cheese. What can I say – I’m partial to Kraft products, as they make family meal ideas like this Tex-Mex quiche just that much easier!
- Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Tex-Mex Quiche
Here’s how to make quiche with a Southwestern kick, in 4 easy steps!
Cook the Ground Beef & Add-in Ingredients: Brown the beef in a skillet before stirring in the green onions, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Set this aside for the time being while you mix up the eggs.
Prepare the Egg Filling: Whisk the eggs, water, cream cheese, and nutmeg together for the filling.
Fill the Pie Crust: Spoon the ground beef mixture into a prepared pie crust in a baking dish, then cover the beef with the egg mixture and top the whole thing with a layer of shredded cheese.
Bake: Bake the quiche in a preheated oven until the egg is set, about 40 minutes.
Tips for Success
- Cook off the Excess Moisture in the Tomatoes: Canned tomatoes can be a bit runny, so try to cook off as much excess liquid as possible when it’s combined with the ground beef. Otherwise you can also strain the tomatoes first, or use diced fresh tomatoes.
- Adapt the Amount of Cheese: If 2 whole cups of shredded cheese seems a bit on the heavy side, or you’d prefer this quiche recipe with less, scale down to 1 cup instead.
- Use Homemade Pie Crust: Nothin’ beats a flaky pastry crust made from scratch. While refrigerated pie crust makes for the easiest possible recipe, for the best results and if time allows, go ahead and use an easy homemade pie crust!
For this recipe, you can easily add in other Tex Mex ingredients like fried black beans or sweet corn kernels. As a general rule, I almost always pre-cook or sauté my quiche add-ins and drain/dry off any excess moisture, then mix them into the egg filling. This keeps the quiche texture thick and creamy!
Here are some more of the best add-ins in my house:
- Spinach or Kale
- Crispy Bacon, Ham or Pancetta
- Caramelized Onions
- Goat Cheese, Feta Cheese or Parmesan
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Grape Tomatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Fresh Herbs (Coriander, Chives, Parsley, Basil)
Quiche is basically an all-in-one side dish! I love serving this Tex-Mex version with a fresh garden salad, or be fully committed to the theme with a side of Southwestern salad or Southwestern quinoa stuffed peppers.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Enjoy within 3-4 days – these slices make an excellent next-day breakfast or lunch!
To reheat, let the quiche come to room temperature, place the pan (or individual slices) on a baking tray and heat the quiche in the oven until warmed through.
Can I Freeze Homemade Quiche?
You can freeze quiche, cooked or uncooked. Allow a quiche to cool completely before freezing, tightly covered in two layers of aluminum foil or in a resealable freezer bag. Frozen quiche will keep in the freezer for 1-3 months – reheat directly from frozen!
More Hearty Quiche Recipes
Similar to frittata and omelette recipes, quiche is one of the best egg recipes to use up leftover ingredients hanging around your fridge. Try these other tasty and filling quiche ideas:
- Spinach Quiche
- Cauliflower Crust Breakfast Quiche
- Hashbrowns, Spinach and Tomato Pie
- Butternut Squash, Grape Tomatoes, and Feta Cheese Quiche Cups
Tex-Mex Cheesy Beef Quiche
- 1 refrigerated pie crust , room temperature
- 1- pound lean ground beef
- 4 green onions , thinly sliced, white parts only
- 1 can (10-ounces) Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- salt and fresh black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Kraft Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups Kraft Mexican Style Taco Shredded Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and line with pie crust; set aside.
- Place beef in a skillet and cook until browned; drain fat.
- Stir in green onions, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chili powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, water, cream cheese, and nutmeg; whisk until well combined.
- Spoon ground beef mixture into previously prepared pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over beef and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until set.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.