Sausage Smashed Burgers – Incredibly juicy and super flavorful smashed burgers topped with homemade pickles, jarlsberg cheese, and sprout slaw!
What do you think about this beauty?
THAT my lovelies, is a Sausage Smashed Burger! Ain’t it a beauty?! It’s also pretty darn amazing. Flavorful, of course, but also with a bit of crunch that comes in the form of a brussels sprouts slaw and homemade pickles. Made with Regular Premium Pork Sausage, this burger lives up to its fullest potential. I can’t wait for you to try it!
And these homemade pickles!! The best homemade pickles I have ever made. With Apple Cider Vinegar and sugar + cucumbers, these babes will come together in no time.
In between all of that pickle-ing practice, you’ll have to make the burgers. As these things usually go in my world, I was rushing around like a fool trying to get dinner ready, and even though this came together on a whim, I have to admit that there are only few things that can bring this entire family to the table with a big smile on their face; spaghetti and burgers.
If this wonderful concoction is speaking to you the way it spoke to me, hit print and make these today! NOW! I promise you, they are daaaaay-YUM good!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Sausage Smashed Burgers
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Original Sausage
- 1/2 cup Homemade Pickles , see recipe below
- 1 cup Sprout Slaw , see recipe below
- 4 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 slices brioche bread
- 2 tomatoes , sliced
- 1 cup shredded jarlsberg cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cucumber , seeded and sliced
- 2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- Combine sugar, vinegar and water in a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add cucumber slices.
- Refrigerate for an hour before use, the cucumbers will be tender yet still have texture.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, mayonnaise and garlic paste in a mixing bowl; mix well and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium.
- Add onions, butter and cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often until onions are tender.
- Drain and reserve excess butter to toast bread slices, refrigerate onions until cooled.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of reserved onion butter in the same skillet over medium.
- Toast 2 slices of bread at a time until desired doneness; repeat with remaining ingredients and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the tomato slices until a slight charring occurs, set aside.
- Combine the sausage and caramelized onions together in a mixing bowl.
- Divide the sausage mix into 4 equal parts and roll into individual ball-shapes.
- Using the same skillet, smash the sausage into the skillet with a flat spatula until you have your desired thickness.
- Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the natural juices run clear.
- Finish with the shredded cheese and let melt before removing from the skillet.
- You can cook them all in the same skillet or two at a time.
- Layer the burger between toasted bread with tomatoes, pickles and slaw.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.