Strawberry Blueberry Crumble, a.k.a. the lazy man’s pie, a.k.a. my favorite dessert, a.k.a. strawberries and blueberries baked with a delicious, crunchy topping of sugar, flour, butter and almonds!
Hi, you guys! Happy Monday!
I feel like I ran a marathon. I mentioned a little birthday party (35+ guests) we were having for our 2-year old yesterday… We had the best time! Friends, food, laughter, drinks, screaming kids… life is good. BUT this Mama is tiiiiiiiired! I feel old.
Hey, remember when weekends were about sleeping-in until, like, noon? THAT was zee life! You’d feel all recharged, ready to tackle the week. Maybe I’ll go to bed at 7 tonight, together with my girls…
And I’m pretty sure that’s when grandma goes to bed, which proves that I AM getting older.
Also? Remember when we could shop at Forever 21 and put together an outfit for about $21 bucks?! FUN!
I tried doing that few days ago and, um, a dish rag covers more of my bottom than their skirts and shorts. By the way, I hate shorts. The last time I wore shorts, I was about 12 years old. You know, before the thighs decided to become one. Which was praaaaahbably before I learned that I could eat the entire Strawberry Blueberry Crumble, straight from the pan.
Once upon a time, I opened up a cookbook, filled with Southern recipes and it changed my life. Southerners make the best-est food on the planet. Desserts, especially. HELLO Pecan Pie! And Strawberry Shortcakes. Or how about something along the lines of this Skillet-Baked Peach and Cherry Cobbler… o.m.g. SO GOOD! Then I learned about the Southern version of lazy pies, a.k.a. a Crumble, and life got even bettah!
If you don’t think this looks like the best and sweetest treat that arrived from the heavens, then I don’t know what to do for ya. I can’t help you there. Nothing more than berries baked with a crunchy topping of sugar, flour, butter and almonds, this crumble will certainly satisfy your pie-cravings during the lazy summer days.
Add a big dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and eat.it.UP!
Strawberry Blueberry Crumble
- 1 pound whole fresh strawberries , hulled and halved
- 12 ounces blueberries
- juice of one whole lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- zest of one whole lemon
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a 9-inch pie plate, or a baking dish, combine strawberries, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and salt; let stand 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugars, lemon zest, and melted butter.
- Mix with wooden spoon until crumbly.
- Add the prepared topping over the fruit mixture.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds and raw sugar over topping.
- Place the pie plate/baking dish on previously prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.