Strawberry Blueberry Crumble, a.k.a. the lazy man’s pie, a.k.a. my favorite dessert, a.k.a. strawberries and blueberries baked with a delicious, crunchy topping of sugar, flour, butter and almonds!
Hi, you guys! Happy Monday!
I feel like I ran a marathon. I mentioned a little birthday party (35+ guests) we were having for our 2-year old yesterday… We had the best time! Friends, food, laughter, drinks, screaming kids… life is good. BUT this Mama is tiiiiiiiired! I feel old.
Hey, remember when weekends were about sleeping-in until, like, noon? THAT was zee life! You’d feel all recharged, ready to tackle the week. Maybe I’ll go to bed at 7 tonight, together with my girls…
And I’m pretty sure that’s when grandma goes to bed, which proves that I AM getting older.
Also? Remember when we could shop at Forever 21 and put together an outfit for about $21 bucks?! FUN!
I tried doing that few days ago and, um, a dish rag covers more of my bottom than their skirts and shorts. By the way, I hate shorts. The last time I wore shorts, I was about 12 years old. You know, before the thighs decided to become one. Which was praaaaahbably before I learned that I could eat the entire Strawberry Blueberry Crumble, straight from the pan.
Once upon a time, I opened up a cookbook, filled with Southern recipes and it changed my life. Southerners make the best-est food on the planet. Desserts, especially. HELLO Pecan Pie! And Strawberry Shortcakes. Or how about something along the lines of this Skillet-Baked Peach and Cherry Cobbler… o.m.g. SO GOOD! Then I learned about the Southern version of lazy pies, a.k.a. a Crumble, and life got even bettah!
If you don’t think this looks like the best and sweetest treat that arrived from the heavens, then I don’t know what to do for ya. I can’t help you there. Nothing more than berries baked with a crunchy topping of sugar, flour, butter and almonds, this crumble will certainly satisfy your pie-cravings during the lazy summer days.
Add a big dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and eat.it.UP!
Strawberry Blueberry Crumble
For the Filling
- 1 pound whole fresh strawberries , hulled and halved
- 12 ounces blueberries
- juice of one whole lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping
- 1-1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- zest of one whole lemon
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a 9-inch pie plate, or a baking dish, combine strawberries, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and salt; let stand 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugars, lemon zest, and melted butter.
- Mix with wooden spoon until crumbly.
- Add the prepared topping over the fruit mixture.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds and raw sugar over topping.
- Place the pie plate/baking dish on previously prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.