This post is sponsored by STAR FINE FOODS, maker of awesome Olive Oils, Vinegars, glazes, capers, anchovies, onions, and the list goes ON and ON!
Thank YOU, friends, for supporting the brands that make Diethood possible!
Roasted baby portobello mushrooms tossed with capers and onions in a deliciously seasoned tomato sauce. An easy mushroom recipe that makes a tasty side dish!
I made you a side dish and it’s really, really good! I promise!
But first, HEEEEY! How are you? How was your weekend? I’d rate mine at about a 3, given the circumstances – read about THAT here – but at least I got to unwind and watch some reality trash TV for 5 hours straight. It keeps things off your mind, ya know?
Also? Happy start to the week! Fingers crossed, we won’t be seeing any snow or below freezing temps like last week.
In food news, there is a great reason that I’m telling you about mushrooms today. I figured that I should probably stop talking about asparagus by now since I haven’t be able to, you know, shut the heck up about them. Thus, I decided to go with mushrooms and onions, instead.
But I made these ‘shrooms and we LOVED ‘EM. Like loved ’em-loved ’em. It was a nice change of pace. Occasionally we get in a rut of only asparagus, broccoli, or brussels sprouts and this was a welcome change.
There are two key components to making these killer Roasted Italian Mushrooms:
- STAR’s Olive Oil with Roasted Garlic
- STAR’s Capers
I mean, can you think of anything more flavorful than olive oil infused WITH garlic!? That’s just it; you can’t. STAR, in collaboration with Chef Ferran Adrià, carries a range of infused olive oils that are completely natural and original, allowing you to enhance the flavor of all your favorite dishes.
Then there’s the capers. You might disagree, but I think there are a handful of ingredients that can really add life to a dish: lemon, garlic, olives and capers. Olive oil and vinegar, too.
Capers, with their distinctive sharp flavor, are the perfect ingredient to add to marinades and sauces, as I did here. However, all I really wanted to do is stick my hand in the jar and eat ’em up, but I have people to feed, so…
This recipe is super easy to make. We’re just going to toss the mushrooms in the roasted garlic olive oil ➡ roast them ➡ prepare the tomato sauce with onions, capers and some lemon peel ➡ toss the mushrooms with the prepared sauce ➡ and TAH-DAHM! You really can’t go wrong with this.
STAR Olive Oil with Roasted Garlic is available at select Walmart, Raley’s and Save Mart stores and ONLINE.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Roasted Italian Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 pound whole baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon STAR Olive Oil with Roasted Garlic
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato/pasta sauce
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon STAR Capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mushrooms, olive oil, salt, and pepper; mix to combine.
- Transfer mushrooms to a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender and browned.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
- In a microwave safe cup or bowl, combine tomato sauce, onions, capers and lemon rind.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and let stand a few minutes.
- Toss the mushrooms with previously prepared sauce.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve immediately.