Mushroom Orzo Pilaf is a quick, creamy and delicious one-pot pilaf with orzo and mushrooms. An easy mushroom recipe your family will love!
Now. THIS is my kind of eating delicious vegetarian. It’s also the kind of delicious that you eat straight from the pan, burning your tongue and all, because it’s so darn good!!
Heya! What’s going awn’? How’s your week so far? Fingers crossed, you all have great news to share!
For me, because it’s been gloomy and rainy, the good news to share is that I’ve caught up on all the things that have been chillin’ on my DVR. “Secrets and Wives” might be my new addiction.
Also? Ryan and Jaclyn better get it right!! I was devastated! All my reality tv junkies should know what I’m talkin’ bout. #marriedatfirstsight
Also ALSO?? $100 GIVEAWAY! It’s been a while! I hope YOU win!
One more good piece of news? I have also learned how to use artificial lights to take food pictures for ya even when it’s dark and moody outside! What do you think? Do they look good? I HOPE! Let me know!
By the way, because of the gloomy mood… and expiring mushrooms…. and comfort food, I made us pilaf: warm, creamy, damn delicious pilaf with orzo! Whole Wheat Orzo, at that!
This pilaf is based on some of my favorite pilaf and risotto meals that my mom makes. IF there’s a person that knows how to make a mean pilaf AND risotto the right way, that’s my Mama. It’s like WHOA! I’ll have her “make” it for you and I one of these days and share her secrets, and exhausting mixing and stirring that comes with all that good food.
BUT, because you and I like (and need!) shortcuts, there’s very minimal mixing involved here and it all takes place in one pan, in under 30 minutes. HIGH FIVE!
The dreamy creaminess here is what really counts. And it’s earthy. And filling.
Looking for something warm and meaty to go with it? Hmmm… chicken! Fish. Tofu! More veggies? Play with it, you can’t go wrong!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh new content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
P.S. SCROLL DOWN AND ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!
Mushroom Orzo Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 8- ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large carrot , sliced into thin rounds
- 1/8- teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3- cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 can (14 ounces) OR 1-2/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- grated parmesan cheese , for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add diced onion, mushrooms, carrots and season with salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in minced garlic and continue to cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add orzo, rosemary and vegetable stock; stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid; continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and serve.
Cardamom Rice Pilaf