With just 3 ingredients, Campari Spritz is a bold and refreshing cocktail that comes together in just 5 minutes. Traditionally served as a pre-dinner drink, this easy cocktail is perfect for parties, too.
An Easy & Refreshing Summer Cocktail
When it comes to simple and refreshing cocktails, Campari Spritz is one of the classics. Similar to the popular Aperol spritz, this cocktail is made with just Campari, prosecco, and club soda. Just three ingredients to make a perfectly bubbly and refreshing cocktail.
Unlike many other cocktails and mixed drinks, Campari spritz is not a sweet cocktail. While the club soda adds a bit of sweetness, as does the prosecco depending on the type used, Campari itself has a bitter flavor to it.
These cocktails are traditionally served in Italy as a pre-dinner drink, likely due to that bitter taste that works as a palate-cleanser. It’s ideal for sipping slowly while conversing with friends and loved ones. I, however, love to enjoy these cocktails anywhere and anytime. ? They’re a great mimosa brunch alternative, and since they come together in seconds, perfect for dinner parties or any party at all. I also foresee enjoying one or two of these by the pool during the summer!
What is Campari?
Campari is an Italian aperitif that originated in the 1860s. It’s similar to Aperol, but has a bitter flavor compared to the sweet flavor of Aperol. It’s a bright red drink with hints of cherry, clove, cinnamon, and orange peel. In addition to mixing with prosecco for Campari Spritz, it’s also used to make Americanos (Campari, sweet vermouth and soda water) and Negroni (Campari, gin and sweet vermouth).
What You’ll Need
This bubbly cocktail is made with just 3 ingredients, plus ice and a garnish.
- Ice cubes
- Campari – Gives this cocktail is bright color and bitter flavor.
- Prosecco – You can also use champagne.
- Club soda – Swapping this out for tonic water is not recommended.
- Orange slices – Added for garnish.
How to Make a Campari Spritz
This cocktail comes together in 5 minutes or less!
- Chill the Campari. Fill the glasses with ice cubes and gently stir in the Campari.
- Add the other ingredients. Slowly add in the prosecco and top with club soda.
- Garnish and serve. Garnish with orange slices and serve.
Tips for Success
There’s not many secrets to making a Campari spritz – it’s pretty straightforward! But, here are a few things I recommend for the best cocktail.
- Chill the Campari. Campari is best served chilled so pop it in the fridge or freezer before making this cocktail.
- Make it a savory drink. For a more traditional, savory pre-dinner drink, you can also garnish a Campari spritz with green olives.
- Use a dry prosecco. While you can use any type of prosecco or champagne for this spritz, I recommend a dry prosecco to avoid making it too sweet – unless you prefer a sweeter drink, of course!
Campari Spritz is best when chilled, so make and serve immediately. Since it’s so simple to make, this is a great party drink. It looks and feels fancy, while taking almost no time to make.
A Campari Spritz would traditionally be served as a pre-dinner drink in Italy, enjoyed while waiting to order at a restaurant or dinner at someone’s house. The bitter taste resets your palate and makes it a great drink for sipping while enjoying your company.
Can I Make a Campari Spritz in Advance?
Due to the fact that this should be bubbly when served, there’s really no way to make this in advance. The most important thing to do beforehand is ensure you have plenty of ice in the freezer, and pop the Campari in the fridge or freezer for ample chill time.
Luckily, it takes just a couple minutes to make a few of these, so making it in advance isn’t necessary.
- Ice cubes
- 4 ounces Campari, chilled
- 1 cup prosecco
- 1/3 cup club soda
- orange slices, forganish
- Fill two glasses with ice cubes, about ¾ of the way up.
- Add the campari and gently stir around.
- Slowly add in the prosecco and top with club soda.
- Garnish with orange slices.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.