Beautiful, fresh Mediterranean Salad tossed with Roasted Sweet Corn and Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes, Olives, and Feta Cheese.
You guys! Two words: Sweet Corn AND Salad. You know what that indicates?! SUMMER is near!
I know, Spring is still teasing us, but we can’t let a little slightly above freezing weather get in between us and our favorite warm weather salads. Don’t give up! Let’s just properly celebrate what is in our near future – flip flops and a Mediterranean Salad.
So, you know how when we stepped “off the boat” (it was a plane – I swear! JAT airlines – check it!) in 1988 and my dad was introduced to Sweet Corn? And when he couldn’t stop telling his mom in Macedonia about his newfound American favorite food – the best and sweetest corn, ever? Obsessed much, Dad??
Sweet Corn and my dad are like *this*, to this day. I call him, “corn nibbler”.
However, it’s not just any sweet corn. My dad’s choice was, and always will be, Sunshine Sweet Corn. The sweetest, most tender corn in the country.
For these reasons, and the bit about its amazing flavor, sweet corn gets used up a lot around here.
Think about the goodness of charred, roasted sweet corn. Go ahead, take a moment. Add some garbanzo beans, thyme and pepper flakes. Riiiiiight. The word awesome is beginning to float around.
Also? Throw some feta cheese on it. And olives, and tomatoes… If you’re thinking that red onions should be in the plan, go ahead, add them in.
Mega tip – toss it all together with a citrusy, homemade Lemon Vinaigrette.
There you go. You just made the most delicious Salad on the planet.
Yea. Seriously. Let’s just all admit that sometimes roasted Florida Sweet Corn is the Belle of the ball. The bees knees. The top banana! You get the point.
Roasted Sweet Corn Mediterranean Salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Florida Sweet Corn kernels
- 1 can (16-oz) garbanzo beans, well rinsed
- kosher salt , to taste
- fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 sprigs of thyme , leaves only
- ½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes , thinly sliced
- 1 cup black pitted olives , quartered
- 1 red onion , diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice , about 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, corn, beans, salt, pepper, thyme leaves and pepper flakes; mix until well combined.
- Transfer corn mixture to previously prepared baking sheet; spread mixture in a single layer.
- Roast for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime, in a large salad bowl add the lettuce, tomatoes, olives, red onions and feta cheese.
- Gently mix in cooled roasted sweet corn and garbanzo beans.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour over salad.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.