Fresh, healthy, and absolutely delicious side dish of sauteed mushrooms and zucchini! Perfectly seasoned and pan fried to perfection, this Skillet Zucchini and Mushrooms recipe is ready in just 20 minutes!
Sautéed to crisp tender deliciousness, and seasoned with garlic and herbs, this dish is full of flavorful veggie goodness! Try my Skillet Zucchini and Mushrooms for a healthy side that is quick, easy, and wholesome.
A Quick & Easy Veggie Side
Sometimes the best way to prepare fresh veggies is a simple sauté. I love doing this with zucchini, especially, because it cooks up quickly. In this dish, we’ll be adding diced onion and fresh whole mushrooms, too, for a savory veggie side that you HAVE TO try.
To finish off the flavors, I use a bit of veggie broth and herbs, adding the perfect ending touch to make this simply delicious vegetarian side dish.
This is a side you could serve any night of the week, but it’s also great to whip up for a special occasion. I think that onions and oregano are classic flavors for holiday meals, but also perfect for light summer dinners. Plus, it all comes together super easily in just one skillet!
What You’ll Need
This fresh and zesty side dish is easy to make. Plus, it’s full of natural, healthy ingredients!
- Olive Oil: To sauté the veggies, you’ll need a tablespoon of olive oil or your other preferred high-heat oil.
- Zucchini: Cut two zucchini into thin, half-moon slices.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Butter: Have on hand three tablespoons of butter, divided.
- Onion: You’ll need ½ a cup of finely diced onion to sauté along with the mushrooms. White onions, yellow onions and sweet onions all work well in this dish!
- Mushrooms: Gently clean a pound of small button mushrooms. You can also use your favorite sliced mushrooms, if you prefer, but just make sure the mushrooms are all cleaned well so to avoid that strong earthy/dirt taste, ya know what I mean? ?
- Broth: You can use veggie broth, chicken broth or beef broth.
- Fresh or Dried Herbs: Earthy herbs taste great with zucchini and mushrooms.
- Garlic: You’ll need three to four cloves of fresh garlic, minced. The garlicky-er, the better, if you ask me. ? ❤️
- Chopped Fresh Parsley: For garnish.
How to Make Skillet Zucchini and Mushrooms
- Sauté Zucchini: Add the olive oil plus some butter to a large skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini slices to the heated oil, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until fork-tender. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook Onions & Mushrooms: Return your skillet to the burner and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender and nicely browned. Stir in the garlic and herbs.
- Return Zucchini & Finish Dish: Return the cooked zucchini to the skillet and sauté for 1 minute, or until heated through. Pour in the vegetable broth and cook for 2 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Enjoy! Remove the skillet from the heat. Sprinkle with parmesan + parsley, and serve.
Tips for Making Sautéed Zucchini and Mushrooms
These handy tips will help you customize this recipe for your family. Enjoy!
- Squash Substitution: If you’d like, you can swap yellow summer squash for some or all of the zucchini. They have an almost identical texture and flavor, with an attractive yellow color.
- Onion Alternatives: This dish is also super tasty with leeks or scallions in place of the diced onion.
- Au Gratin Option: Make this sauté into a tasty casserole by transferring the finished dish to a baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar and buttered breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 minutes or so at 350°F. It’s DELISH!
So what goes with skillet zucchini and mushrooms? The good news is, it goes with everything! Seriously, this well-balanced veggie dish is the perfect partner for almost any entree. Consider:
- Pork Medallions: These Pan Seared Pork Medallions with Pan Sauce are a super flavorful entree you’ll love. They’re tender, juicy and easy to make!
- Lobster: Buttery Baked Lobster Tails are a seafood entree that looks amazing, but is incredibly simple to cook. Serious yum! ?
- Mozzarella Chicken: This Mozzarella Chicken in Tomato Sauce is a killer dinner idea, and it goes perfectly with these versatile veggies.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store leftovers, place the veggies in airtight containers and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days.
- To reheat them, place the veggies in a skillet over medium-low heat and sauté until heated through.
Can I Freeze Cooked Zucchini and Mushrooms?
- Yes. Just spread the cooled, cooked veggies out on a tray or baking sheet and place it in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Then, transfer the veggies into a freezer bag and keep for up to four months.
- Reheat directly from frozen.
Skillet Zucchini and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 small zucchini, cut into thin, half moon slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 pound small button mushrooms, cleaned and patted dry
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped herbs, use what you have on hand, or use 1 teaspoon dried herbs (thyme and oregano are great in this dish)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- grated parmesan, for garnish
- Add olive oil and 1/2-tablespoon butter to a large skillet and set over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini slices to the hot oil; season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until fork-tender. Remove zucchini from skillet and set aside. If there's any liquid in the skillet, wipe it out.
- Return skillet to the burner and add remaining butter; melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onions and cook for 2 minutes, or until just softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender and nicely browned. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and herbs; cook for 20 seconds.
- Return zucchini to the skillet and mix with the mushrooms; cook for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and cook for 2 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Sprinkle with parsley and parmesan; serve.
- NET CARBS: 7 g
- WW POINTS NOTE: Replace the butter with more olive oil to reduce your points down to 4.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
More Veggie Sides
Every meal could use a healthy side dish, and the following recipes are sure to satisfy! Don’t forget to try them out next.