Hello, pretty friends! Happy Sunday! Hope you are enjoying this wonderful winter-break and all the Holiday things that the Season brings!
I went to do a bit of discount-shopping on the 26th and was met with a hoard of thousands others that decided to do the same thing! Darn it!
As I approached the Holiday-themed aisles, I realized that just about everything was gone. A big red sign that read “50% OFF on Holiday Decor” was the only fixture still standing. DAMN!
Then I went to Macy’s and bought a new dress. Shoes, too. I plan to look good on New Year’s Eve. Clonk!
Fingers crossed I won’t be lookin’ good just for my living room, you know what I’m sayin’?
However, IF for some odd reason I end up staying at home, my new fleece pj’s, yogurt dip and a bowl of these potato patties will be happening.
I have a loving relationship with things shaped into patties. Or fritters. Or meatballs! You know… Anything that needs shaping into a bite-size treat.
Well, this is more like a two-bites treat, but you understand.
Also? If you’re ever in need of spinach-recipes, stop by! I have LOTS!
As I was sitting there watching the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, I was madly dipping these potato patties into yogurt and just inhaling them without coming up for air. They are just so darn good. Honest to Goodness. Or as my foreign Mom would say, Honestly God!
In actuality, all I really did here was combine some mashed potatoes with scrumptious goodies and fried ’em. Sometimes the simplest things are the most satisfying.
On the other hand, every kind of food benefits from some garlic, parmesan and spinach. You KNOW that’s the truth.
Also, good olive oil is always a smart move. I love Star’s Olive Oil.
Another great thing about these patties? They can serve as a delicious side dish or as a spectacular appetizer at your NYE party.
No matter how you decide to serve them, the natural thing, of course, is to eat ’em.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE SPINACH AND GARLIC POTATO PATTIES
- 1 pound potatoes (about 4 medium-sized potatoes), boiled, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 bag 8 to 10 ounces baby spinach
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil , for frying (add more as needed)
- Sour Cream
- Soy Sauce
- Combine prepared potatoes and milk in a large mixing bowl; using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add spinach and garlic to skillet; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and add spinach mixture to the potatoes.
- Stir in cheese and lemon juice.
- Add egg and panko/bread crumbs; stir until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Shape the mixture into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Working in batches, fry each patty on both sides until golden brown; about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer potato patties to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Serve with yogurt, sour cream, soy sauce, etc...
Serve as a side dish or an appetizer with dipping sauces.