This Caprese Stuffed Mushrooms recipe is cheesy, garlicky, savory, and delicious! Portobello mushrooms stuffed with melty mozzarella cheese, sweet cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil!
EASY CAPRESE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Can you think of anything better than tender mushrooms stuffed with the most delicious Caprese salad?! Sweet tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, plus fragrant basil all added to buttery mushroom caps and topped with a wonderful balsamic glaze. OMG. mouth.watering! 😋
If you are looking for a quick and delicious appetizer or side dish, these stuffed mushrooms fit perfectly into those two categories. But, that doesn’t mean that you can’t have them as the main meal. I mean… I do!
These also fall under the category of Low Carb & Keto-friendly. For those trying to figure out a low-carb appetizer for their Super Bowl party, here ya go! I promise you, YOU will not be disappointed. Each bite is full of flavor and bound to impress all your guests.
INGREDIENTS FOR CAPRESE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- fresh mozzarella balls/pearls
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil
- balsamic glaze
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
These Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are a delicious cold-weather twist on our favorite summer Caprese salad. At parties, I bring out a platter of caprese stuffed baby portobello mushrooms and those are the first to go. However, for this recipe, we’re going to use large portobellos because dinners are an everyday task, and Super Bowls are once a year. 😉
- First, grab 4 large Portobello mushrooms and carefully pop off the stems. Then, using a spoon, remove the brown gills from inside the cap. Wash the mushrooms and pat-dry with paper towels.
- Melt butter, then whisk in minced garlic. Brush the mushroom caps all over with the garlic butter and set on a baking sheet; bake for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes in half, and arrange them close together inside the pre-baked mushroom caps.
- Put mushrooms back in the oven and bake for about 12 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from oven; top with fresh basil ribbons and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Serve.
We absolutely LOVE a stuffed mushroom appetizer, and if you want to serve these as such, just swap out the larger mushroom caps for smaller creminis, and bake until they are tender, cheese is melted, and tomatoes are wilted.
CAN I STUFF MUSHROOMS THE NIGHT BEFORE?
- This stuffed mushrooms recipe can be made up to 2 days ahead. Just assemble the mushrooms, then cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- Take mushrooms out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to bake them.
HOW TO FREEZE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- Prep the mushrooms, but don’t bake them. Store prepared stuffed mushrooms in an airtight container, and freeze. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Thaw out the mushrooms, completely, before baking.
MORE STUFFED MUSHROOMS RECIPES
TOOLS USED INTHIS RECIPE
Caprese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 (about 12 to 16 ounces, all together) portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls, drained, patted dry, and cut in half
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Prepare the mushrooms by gently popping off the stems. Then, using a spoon, remove the brown gills from inside the cap. Wash the mushroom caps and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and whisk in parsley, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Brush the garlic butter mixture all over the mushrooms.
- Transfer mushrooms to a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Remove mushrooms from oven; arrange previously prepared cheese balls and tomatoes inside each mushroom cap. Place the cheese and tomatoes close together. You can always add more, or use less, tomatoes and cheese.
- Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from oven.
- Top mushrooms with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 12
NET CARBS: 6g
HOW TO MAKE AHEAD
- Assemble the mushrooms, but DO NOT BAKE. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days.
- Take mushrooms out of the fridge 30 minutes before baking.