Cheesy Broccoli Casserole: An amazing vegetarian dinner with broccoli florets, veggies and cheese!
Guys and Gals, it’s October-in-August around these parts. It’s raining, it’s cold, and we’re pretty much stuck inside, singing our lungs out to Katy Perry, and cooking casseroles. Cookies, too. It’s just how we roll.
And, as long as we’re being real, lemme ask you; do you ever bite off more than you can chew? ‘Cause LORD knows I DO! I am filled to the rim! Busting at the seams! Trying to keep afloat! You understand, I’m sure.
Buuuuuut, I’m sorta thankful because then there are those times when you’re like, uh-oh, why don’t I have a full schedule? Did I miss a phone call? Did I miss an email?!?
There’s also that back-to-school thing that’s kinda freakin’ me OUT! Ana starts kindergarten in one week. KINDERGARTEN! The lil’ girl, the one that barely weighed 6-pounds when she was born, is about to take off and start her school-journey. Freakin’ OUT!
Breathe in, breathe out…
Not sure how all this happened. I’m only 23!
Don’t worry about what my driver’s license says, m’kay? In my mind, I’m 23.
Before I continue to freak out, can we just have some damn good food??
In honor of back-to-school, I made you this Cheesy Broccoli Casserole. Kids hate it, moms LOVE IT!
I am forever in love with broccoli. With any and all vegetables, in fact. I like green, tree-ish lookin’ things. Not as much as cake, but I do love them enough to want to stuff my face with ’em.
This casserole is sort of a healthful combination of broccoli florets, a bit of garlic, couple of carrots, some onions, and handfuls of cheese – because, let’s face it, even I can’t have veggies without cheese. It’s the natural thing to do.
I also love to add a good dose of panko crumbs on top of almost all my veggie casseroles. It satisfies that craving for an extra crunch, you know?
If you’re looking to make the best veggie dinner yet, give this a GO. Serve it as a side dish or as a main – it’s delicious either way! I think you’ll like it.
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- 2- pounds fresh broccoli florets
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese , divided
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2- cup bread crumbs or panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- Place broccoli florets and chopped carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain well and return vegetables to saucepan; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet; add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in flour; stir until thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and add to the broccoli mixture.
- Add 1/2-cup shredded parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to the previously prepared dish; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine milk and nutmeg; mix until combined.
- Pour milk mixture over broccoli.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining cheese and bread/panko crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs mixture over broccoli mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.