This deliciously Creamy Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli is a healthy 30 minute meal made with boneless chicken breast, nutritious broccoli, and flavorful mushrooms. All smothered in a lightened-up homemade Alfredo cream sauce!
Table of Contents
Easy Pan-Fried Chicken with Broccoli and Alfredo Sauce
This easy creamy chicken Alfredo is one of my favorite dinner recipes! The first time I made this deliciously simple pan-fried chicken and broccoli recipe, the hubby and I couldn’t get enough. Since then, it’s one of my frequent creamy chicken dinners, and I swear it gets better each time.
This weeknight meal has it all: nutrient-rich greens, lean protein, plus calcium! Add a hint of garlic and mushrooms and a squeeze of lemon, and you have the quickest, tastiest 30-minute meal. My lightened-up chicken Alfredo with broccoli is just under 300 calories per serving. This makes it perfect for enjoying as is, or you can easily add a side of pasta or rice for a filling and healthy family dinner.
What is Chicken Alfredo?
Not to be confused with chicken Alfredo pasta; this chicken recipe is a lighter version made with only the chicken breasts, cooked with broccoli and mushrooms, then topped with a dreamy, cheesy homemade Alfredo sauce.
Classic Alfredo sauce typically involves combining butter and cheese into a flavorful and creamy emulsion. In this case it’s perfect for coating the meat and veggies, while skipping the pasta carbs!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Chicken and Broccoli:
- Chicken Breasts: Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are the best for this chicken Alfredo recipe.
- Broccoli: I use fresh broccoli florets.
- Sliced Mushrooms: Cremini mushrooms or white mushrooms work great, or any variety of your choice.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice and a few lemon slices for extra flavor.
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
And here are the ingredients for the lightened-up Alfredo Sauce:
- Butter: Unsalted.
- Garlic: Whole cloves, minced.
- Chicken Broth: To keep this recipe light, I opt for low sodium, organic chicken broth.
- Low Fat Cream Cheese: For an extra layer of creaminess.
- Parmesan Cheese: For the classic Alfredo flavor.
How to Make Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
This easy chicken recipe is only 3 steps, ready in 30 minutes or less!
Cook the Chicken and Veggies: Cook your seasoned chicken breasts in a skillet with a bit of olive oil. Add in the mushrooms, turn your chicken, and then add in the broccoli, lemon juice and lemon slices. Place the lid over the pan to cook until the chicken is done.
Prepare the Light Alfredo Sauce: Add garlic to a skillet with butter, followed by the broth, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. Cook the mixture for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened, then remove from the heat.
Serve: Scoop the chicken and vegetables onto plates, then spoon the Alfredo sauce over top.
Tips for Success
- Increase the Amount of Sauce: If you’d like to make extra sauce, add a little more broth and cheese to the recipe.
- Don’t Overcook the Chicken: When checking if your chicken is cooked, use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature is 165 degrees at the thickest part of the chicken breast.
You can absolutely mix up this recipe to your preference. Think add-ins like bacon, or switching up the broccoli for your favorite veggies! Here are some variation ideas for this easy chicken Alfredo:
- Mix in pieces of crispy bacon or pancetta for added protein.
- Season your chicken breast in a blend of cayenne and spices for a spicy Southwest chicken Alfredo.
- Add in or replace the chicken with peeled shrimp for an easy shrimp Alfredo.
- Toss in additional veggies like carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, spinach or frozen peas. Mix and match or swap out the broccoli and mushrooms for any vegetables you prefer!
- Add a spoonful of basil pesto to your homemade Alfredo sauce for extra flavor.
You can easily spoon this creamy chicken Alfredo over rice, or served over fettuccine or penne for quick and easy Chicken Alfredo Pasta!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover chicken Alfredo airtight in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat in the oven, transfer the chicken in an oven-safe dish and cover it in aluminum foil before placing in the oven until heated through.
You can also warm the chicken in the microwave with a teaspoon of water added to keep the sauce creamy and the meat from drying out.
Can I Freeze Chicken Alfredo?
To freeze chicken Alfredo, allow it to cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container, or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Store frozen for 2-4 months. For best results, defrost frozen chicken Alfredo either overnight in the fridge or at room temperature before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Healthy Chicken Dinners to Try
- Asian Glazed Chicken Thighs with Rice
- Chicken and Vegetables Skillet
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Piccata with Green Beans
- Creamy Chicken and Cauliflower
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Creamy Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (about 16 ounces) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 thinly sliced lemon slices
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2- cup low sodium organic chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons 1/3 less fat cream cheese or neufchatel cheese
- 1/4- cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and continue to cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, turning chicken halfway through.
- Add broccoli, lemon juice and lemon slices; cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, just until fragrant. Do not burn the garlic.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add the broth, cream cheese, and parmesan; cook and stir for about 3 minutes, or until the cheeses have melted and sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to plates.
- Add Alfredo sauce over chicken.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.