Southwest Chicken Alfredo – Easy, creamy and delicious pasta dish with spicy chicken, vegetables, homemade alfredo sauce and cavatappi pasta.
So dreamy, so creamy, sooooo delicious! I ♥ my Mexitalian fusions!
Oh, heeeeey, friends! Happy Sunday! Welcome to my allthethings pasta/chicken sanctuary. Err. Blog.
I had an email the other day from a reader asking me to STOP butchering “their” Italian cuisine, referring to my Mediterranean White Chicken Enchiladas.
Normally, I wouldn’t bring this up because then you and I would have something/someone to gossip about every.single.day, however, this one is an exception.
An exception because, a) since when is Italy the only thing that is Mediterranean?
Geography 101: The countries with coastlines on the Mediterranean Sea include; Albania, Algeria, Bosnia, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Northern Cyprus, Palestinian territories, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Turkey, and Tunisia.
AND, b) Imagine what would have been if Picasso went along with the norm and continued to just draw stick-people.
Thus, today we’re talking about pasta and cumin and chili powder and bell peppers and other yummy stuffs. Food for the heart and soul.
This whole thing was like a delicious fusion of all the things this family of 4 loves. From the cavatappi pasta to the southwestern flavors, this recipe represents!
I also found out that this is very good for the truly hungry-hungry. Like, the hangry hungry. <— Me, every day.
It gave my hungry self a feel-good hug at the end of a long, exhausting day full of me taking care of two little girls and their stomach bugs. Grrrrr! GO AWAY WINTER!
But, for reals. I just love this Southwest Chicken Alfredo combo. It’s colorful, it’s loaded with flavor, it’s creamy, it’s full of texture and there’s avocado on top. I mean. What more do you need?!
Have a Happy Sunday!!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 1 package (1 pound) Cavatappi Pasta
- 1 pound (about 3 to 4 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 avocado , diced, for garnish
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a ziploc bag, combine ground cumin, cayenne pepper and chili powder.
- Add the cubed chicken pieces to the ziploc bag; close it and shake it around until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces to the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter; add diced peppers, onions and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Remove vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour; continue to whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half into the sauce until completely incorporated.
- Stir the Parmesan cheese into the sauce, whisking continually.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer; cook, stirring regularly, until the sauce has thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and vegetables to the sauce; stir and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and hot.
- Add drained pasta to the chicken mixture and toss to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Top with diced avocado and fresh parsley.
WW SmartPoints: 14
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy