Need an easy dinner idea that’s healthy and fast? You got it! This easy Chicken and Vegetables Skillet recipe is all of that and more! Everyone will love this garlicky chicken with colorful, crisp-tender veggies.
An Easy Low Carb Chicken Dinner Idea
I don’t know why, but my little fam here absolutely loves it when I make chicken skillet recipes. Is it because they’re fast? Or maybe because they’re easy? OH! Or because everyone can come look over my shoulder and see exactly what’s for dinner?
Probably that last one, at least! I’m sure a lot of you can relate.
Anyway, this easy skillet meal combines a few of our favorites: chunks of chicken, bell peppers, bite-sized pieces of broccoli, and fresh zucchini. I sauté it all up in olive oil with a blend of flavorful spices, and dinner is done!
All you might need to add is rice or noodles. Or you can eat it as-is for a healthy low-carb dinner. Orrr…sop it up all up with a loaf of crusty warm bread. 😍
What You’ll Need
The seasonings in this easy chicken skillet recipe are so perfect, you may want to measure out double the amount and put half in its own bottle to use in other recipes. Fo’ realz.
- Olive Oil: You’ll need a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, divided, for sautéing.
- Chicken: I use 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
- Garlic Powder, Paprika, and Onion Powder: To season the meat and veggies, you’ll need ½ a teaspoon of each.
- Dried Thyme and Rosemary: Dried herbs are such an easy way to add flavor and fragrance! Again, use ½ a teaspoon of each.
- Chili Powder: Depending on your taste, add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of chili powder for depth of flavor.
- Onion: What’s a skillet dinner without onion? I like mine thinly sliced, but you could also mince or dice.
- Broccoli: So nutritious and so yummy! Wash and cut a small head of broccoli into bite-size broccoli florets.
- Zucchini: You don’t have to peel zucchini; just wash and slice into half-moons.
- Bell Peppers: You can use any color you like. I like to use one yellow and one red, cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Broth: For just a touch of sauciness, have ready ¼ cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- Chopped Fresh Parsley: For garnish.
How to Make Chicken and Vegetables in a Skillet
This flavor-packed chicken and veggies meal is a breeze to make and requires minimal cleanup. The dish follows a basic cooking method that I absolutely love. It’s a great technique to master, because you can use it to make just about any protein and veggies!
- Prep the Chicken. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, blend the garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, paprika, and chili powder. Take half of this seasoning mixture, and sprinkle it over the chicken. Add half a tablespoon of olive oil to the chicken,and toss it to coat evenly.
- Cook the Chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces to the hot oil, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. Be sure to keep it covered.
- Cook the Vegetables. Return the skillet to the heat, and pour in the remaining olive oil. Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Then stir in your broccoli, zucchini, and peppers. If things seem a bit dry, add more oil to the skillet. Season the veggies with the remaining seasoning mixture, plus salt and pepper, and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp tender. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Add the Broth and Chicken Back to the Skillet. Stir the chicken broth into the skillet. If there are any browned bits stuck to the bottom, scrape them up and stir them into the broth to create a pan sauce. Return the chicken and any chicken juices to the skillet, and stir around to combine and cook for a minute.
- Enjoy! Remove the skillet from the heat, and garnish with parsley, if using. Serve.
Tips for Success
Are you getting hungry? I know I am! But don’t get cooking just yet. Take a minute to look over these handy tips first!
- Vary the Veg: I typically use the veggies in the recipe as written, but you can definitely use whatever you have or prefer. Cauliflower, summer squash, cabbage, asparagus, leeks… whatever you like!
- Change Up the Protein: Likewise, feel free to use chunks of steak, cubes of pork loin, cubes of ham, or even baked tofu instead of the chicken.
- Use an Instant-Read Thermometer: Whatever protein you use, there’s no better way to test for doneness than by using an instant-read thermometer.
What goes with this easy skillet meal? I do like to serve with rice or noodles, as I mentioned earlier, but there are tons of great sides in addition to those!
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Such an underrated possibility in the world of sides! This easy recipe for Mashed Sweet Potatoes goes with everything and is full of nutrition.
- Fries: My Oven Baked Seasoned Fries are a crowd-pleasing favorite!
- Salad: Another serving of veggies will have your body thanking you! Try my Radish and Cucumber Salad with Garlic-Yogurt Dressing for something different and refreshing.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store leftover chicken and veggies, place in shallow airtight containers with any pan juices. Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- To reheat, place leftovers in a covered skillet or saucepan over low heat, and cook until just heated through. Do not overcook.
Can I Freeze Extras?
- Yes, you can! Some of the vegetables may be soft after thawing, but they will enrich the sauce.
- Place leftover chicken and veggies in freezer bags, pressing out as much air as possible before sealing, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw before reheating.
Chicken and Vegetables Skillet Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced and cut into half-moons
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth, you can also use dry white wine or water
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, paprika, and chili powder; take half of the seasoning and sprinkle it over the chicken.
- Add ½ tablespoon olive oil to the chicken and toss around to coat evenly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces to the hot oil and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet; set aside in a plate and keep covered.
- Return skillet to the heat and add remaining olive oil.
- To the skillet add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, zucchini, and peppers. Add more oil to the skillet, if needed.
- Season with remaining spice mix plus salt and pepper, and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp tender. Stir couple times during the cooking process.
- Stir in the chicken broth.
- Return chicken and any chicken juices to the skillet; stir around to combine and cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with parsley.