Skillet Burritos – One-Skillet dinner ready in 30-minutes, combining all your favorite Mexican flavors!
Happy Sunday, you guys! How you doin’? As always, I really hope you’re enjoying a mellow, happy Sunday with a full-on marathon of your favorite TV shows!
In this little corner of the world, it’s October and I have never been SO COLD! I’m practically freezing out here. I hope this doesn’t mean that Winter is going to make me stay inside for months.
I’m kinda bad about going outside when it’s cold. I just don’t go. The only way you’ll get me to go outside is if there’s a raging fire inside the house.
Also? I have a collection of nail polishes, yet I almost never polish my nails. And, I have every God given shade of lipstick, but just as the nail polish, I hardly ever wear it.
Anything else I can share about me?? How about this. I went to school for years, got a Bachelor’s Degree in one thing, a Master’s in another, yet all I ever wanted to do was cook. And talk. Guess I need a cooking-talk show. Then, I can make Skillet Burritos and talk to you at the same time!
I’m so ready to just stuff my face with all the warm, filling, very comfy food. It’s cold, it’s rainy, I’ve got my husband’s sweater on, my socks rolled up, and well, I’m more than ready to put on my fat pants – they’ve had a few months off, and it’s time to break into them again.
What I’m trying to tell you is that, this skillet right here? And all that good stuff in there? It’s all in mah belly. ALL OF IT. Minus the skillet.
I didn’t share. I ate it. Literally inhaled it.
(… I ate acai bowls for the next few days… hoping to balance it all out…)
This meal is my almost all time favorite thing. I say almost because I wanna leave room for the next thing that comes along. But, coming from someone that doesn’t care THAT much about Mexican food (Please don’t kill me!!), these Skillet Burritos are the bomb!
I used to make this a lot back in the day when I was preggo because it comes together fairly fast and it’s dang-delicious.
If I could do one thing right now, it would be to crawl into that kitchen behind me and make this for dinner. We hadn’t had it in soooo long, and now all I wanna do is eat it over and over again.
You know what else?? If you don’t include the flour tortillas, and if you serve tortilla chips on the side, this can also serve as Nachos!!
See what we did there? We made two meals out of one. YAY US!
Now, let’s get off the couch and make dinner. I know, it’s not easy to walk away from RHONJ, but somebody’s gotta make dinner, boo!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1- pound 98% lean ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (you can also use a 14-ounce can diced tomatoes)
- 1 can (15-ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas, each cut into 6 triangle shaped wedges
- 1 cup Shredded Taco Blend Cheese
- plain non-fat yogurt or sour cream
- green onion , chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add onions, season with salt and cook for 2 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally; drain.
- Return to heat and season meat with cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for 7 minutes.
- Stir in tortilla wedges.
- Add cheese on top and remove from heat.
- Cover skillet and let stand for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with yogurt or sour cream, avocado, and green onions.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 9
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy