Perfectly seasoned chicken breast is grilled and basted with homemade honey mustard sauce in this easy recipe for Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken. It’s a finger-licking dish that is fast, easy, and full of bright, tangy-sweet flavor!
Don’t want to grill? No problem! Here’s my recipe for Baked Honey Mustard Chicken.
Table of Contents
- Juicy Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- What You’ll Need
- How to Make Honey Mustard for Chicken
- How to Grill the Chicken Breasts
- At What Temperature is Chicken Done?
- Tips for Success
- What to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
- How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Can I Freeze Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken?
- Get the Recipe
- More Easy Chicken Recipes
Juicy Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
I think that chicken and honey mustard are the perfect pair. This recipe, however, takes a slightly different direction than fried chicken tenders and dipping sauce. Instead, we’re making a lighter, grilled version and basting the chicken with the honey mustard sauce while it cooks.
The result? Mouthwateringly tender chicken with pretty grill marks and a caramelized honey-mustard coating. It’s like the very best barbeque chicken texture, but with the flavor of everyone’s favorite dipping sauce! Get your basting brush, this one’s gonna be good.
I love this recipe as a fresh and interesting way to grill out on warmer nights, but you can also make it in a grill pan if you would rather cook indoors. You can even make extra and set it aside for meal prep, because it’s amazing warm or chilled!
What You’ll Need
This basic recipe only calls for a handful of seasonings for the chicken. The trio of mustards really makes the sauce stand out!
For the Chicken
- Chicken: For this recipe, I use 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Garlic Powder: Half a teaspoon of garlic powder adds intensity of flavor with no chopping or mincing involved.
- Onion Powder: Another easy shortcut! Use half a teaspoon, just like the garlic.
- Dried Thyme & Basil: The pungency of thyme balances out the sweetness of the basil, which makes for perfectly flavored honey mustard chicken.
For the Honey Mustard
- Honey: You’ll need ¼ cup of your favorite honey.
- Butter: Melt two tablespoons of butter.
- Mustard: I use a tablespoon each of dijon mustard, yellow mustard and wholegrain mustard.
- Hot Sauce: This is optional, but it does add a nice spicy touch!
- Vinegar: Half a teaspoon of white vinegar balances out the flavors of the sauce.
- Paprika: Just ⅛ teaspoon of paprika adds a savory, earthy note.
How to Make Honey Mustard for Chicken
This flavor-packed sauce is easy to make and serves a dual purpose: we’ll save most of the sauce for dipping, and we’ll also use it to baste the chicken while it cooks.
- Combine Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, melted butter, mustard trio, hot sauce (if using), vinegar and paprika. Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Divide the Sauce: Remove ¼ cup of the honey mustard and put it in a bowl for basting. Reserve the rest for later for dipping.
How to Grill the Chicken Breasts
This easy grill method starts off with quickly browning the outside of the chicken to seal in the juices. Then, you’ll baste the chicken and cook it, covered, for a tender, moist and flavorful result.
- Heat Grill & Season Chicken: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme and dried basil, and then set them aside while you make the honey mustard. Brush the grill grates with oil.
- Grill to Brown: Place the chicken breasts on the grill and brown them for 2 minutes. Then, turn them over and brown for 2 more minutes.
- Baste & Cook First Side: Brush the chicken breasts all over with half of the honey mustard basting sauce. Close the grill and cook the chicken for 7 minutes.
- Baste & Cook Second Side: Uncover, flip and brush the chicken with more basting sauce; continue to cook for 5 to 6 more minutes, or until cooked through. Chicken is cooked when its internal temperature registers at 165˚F. Keep in mind that, the thicker the chicken breasts, the longer it will take to cook through.
- Let Rest & Serve: Remove the cooked chicken from the grill and transfer it to a cutting board. Let the chicken stand for 8 minutes. Then, slice the chicken and serve it with the reserved honey mustard sauce.
At What Temperature is Chicken Done?
- White meat chicken is done at 165°F, according to most authorities. But did you know that you don’t necessarily have to cook the chicken all the way to 165°F? That’s right! Since the chicken will continue to cook, even after you take it off of the heat, many chefs recommend taking the chicken off of the pan, grill, or out of the oven at about 163°F. That way, you reduce the chances of drying out your juicy meat.
- Also? Please use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness, m’kay? Thanks! 😊
Tips for Success
This simple recipe really couldn’t get easier, especially if you use an instant read thermometer to check the chicken’s doneness. And speaking of temperature, here are a few easy tips about grill temps, the best chicken, and serving that drool-worthy sauce.
- How Hot Should the Grill Be? In general, you should heat your grill to around 425-450°F. If you’re using a charcoal grill, it will be at the correct temperature when you can hold your hand over the heat for one or two seconds, but not longer.
- Choose Free-Range: Free-range and organic chicken tends to have a better flavor than conventional chicken, so if you see some at a good price, go for it! If you use conventional chicken, try marinating it in milk for thirty minutes before making this recipe. Pat it dry with paper towels before seasoning and cooking.
- Whip It Good: Before serving, give your honey mustard sauce a quick mix with a whisk or fork to ensure it has the proper consistency.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
So, what should you serve with your grilled honey mustard chicken? I like serving mine with fries or chips and fruit! But to amp up the meal a bit more, try one or more of these awesome recipes.
- Salad: This amazing chicken goes perfectly with a side of salad, or on top of a main-course salad. This Potluck Pasta Salad is a stellar choice!
- Potatoes in Foil: As long as you’re grilling, why not throw together some Garlic Herb Grilled Potatoes in Foil. Yum!
- Cauliflower Rice: This low-carb Coconut Lime Cauliflower Rice is a light side dish packed with tropical flavor – perfect with grilled chicken!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Store leftover chicken in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Store extra dipping sauce (not basting sauce) in a separate container or jar for the same amount of time. Shake or stir before using.
- To reheat grilled chicken, take it out of the refrigerator and let it stand for 10 minutes at room temperature. Then, place the chicken in a covered skillet and reheat it over low heat until it reaches 165˚F internally. Do not overcook.
Can I Freeze Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken?
- Yes, you can! Wrap the chicken portions tightly in plastic wrap, then store them in freezer bags.
- Freeze for 2 to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, optional
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and dried basil; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together honey, melted butter, mustards, hot sauce, vinegar, and paprika; whisk until combined and smooth. Remove ¼-cup of the honey mustard and put it in a bowl – we will use this for basting. Reserve the rest for later for dipping.
- Brush the grill grates with vegetable oil.
- Place chicken breasts on the grill and brown for 2 minutes; turn it over and brown for 2 more minutes.
- Brush the chicken breasts all over with half of the honey mustard basting sauce. Close the grill and cook the chicken for 7 minutes.
- Uncover, flip and brush the chicken with more basting sauce; continue to cook for 5 to 6 more minutes, or until cooked through. Chicken is cooked when internal temperature registers at 165˚F. The thicker the chicken breasts, the longer it will take to cook through.
- Remove cooked chicken from the grill and transfer to a cutting board; let stand 8 minutes.
- Slice the chicken and serve with reserved honey mustard sauce.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Want more easy chicken dinner ideas? Take your pick! They’re all delicious.
22 comments on “Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken”
This Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken is seriously making me hungry!
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
We eat a lot of chicken and I am looking for new recipes! This one looks so good!
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
This turned out fantastic for dinner! Thanks for the easy recipe!
I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
That sauce is so delicious! It’s perfect on the grilled chicken.
Thank YOU! I am very happy you like it! 🙂
This sounds so delicious! Can’t wait to fire up the grill
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
This was a total family hit, even the kids asked for seconds, thank you!
That’s wonderful! I am very happy everyone like it! Thank YOU! 🙂
This was awesome flavor on chicken, everyone loved it!
Thank YOU! I am very glad everyone enjoyed it! 🙂
This recipe was super flavorful! I will definitely be adding this to my rotation.
That’s great! I am very happy you liked it! Thank YOU! 🙂
I am drooling over here!! This chicken is incredibly juicy & tasty!! Loving the honey mustard flavor!
Thank you so much! I am very glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
This has so much flavor, and we all love it! It reminds me of grilled nuggets and sauce from Chik Fil A!
I am very glad everyone loved it!! Thank YOU! 🙂
make it !!! It was good recipe was easy and it’s in the please do me again
I am happy you liked it! Thank YOU! 🙂