This easy homemade Honey Mustard Sauce recipe only needs 6 ingredients! You’re only a few minutes away from making your favorite dipping sauce right at home!
Easy Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce
ONE of my favorite things today: Honey Mustard Sauce! Delicious and simple, smooth and creamy dipping sauce that also serves as a salad dressing!
I could eat my screen.
Hello hello, friends! It’s Monday and I’m really in a chocolate cake type of mood, and since I also have a full day of work + back-to-school shopping + soccer practice, I think that’s more than a good enough reason to tackle both, chocolate AND cake.
But first, Honey Mustard and all the things that you can dip IN IT.
Look at this dreamy and creamy little sauce! How can we survive one more moment just looking at it on our screen? It needs to appear in our hands, STAT.
Lemme ask you a question, though. Do you ever ask your waiter about how your food was prepared and what ingredients were used? I do that. A LOT. I think I embarrass my friends and husband, but do I care? nope. I’m a food blogger – they should accept me for who I am, gosh darn it!
A while back, like years and years, I was at a Baker’s Square restaurant (are those still around?!) and ordered my usual chicken fingers with honey mustard. This particular time, though, the honey mustard sauce tasted even better than ever before. All I wanted to do was drink up the sauce.
When the waiter came back, I had to ask – how do you make this?!? He went back to the kitchen and returned with a piece of paper that said “secret recipe, BUT here’s my own…”
Ingredients for Honey Mustard Sauce
- Yellow Mustard
- Dijon Mustard
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
(See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.)
The chef couldn’t give me the restaurant’s recipe, but gave me his own, which was just as good!
I have been making it almost exactly as his recipe with very few tweaks for the past 10 years and we totally love it. It’s wildly delicious.
Tips and Variations
- I like to change this up sometimes and add yogurt instead of mayonnaise when I want to use it as a salad dressing.
- Also, for a healthier spin, I have used Hellmann’s Cholesterol-Free and Egg-Free Sandwich Spread in place of the mayonnaise.
- I especially like to make this when we have company because you can serve it with anything from chicken nuggets to pretzel bites, to raw veggies. Sweet and tangy, this homemade take on a classic appeals to both, kids and adults.
Now all I want to do is make one massive bowl of Honey Mustard Sauce with a side of chicken fingers. Some chicken nuggets, too. Some carrots! Zucchini! Some asparagus?!?
Okay I’ll stop.
Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, except salt and pepper, and whisk until well combined.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly; add salt and pepper if needed.
- Store it in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated.
- I like to change it up sometimes and add yogurt instead of mayonnaise when I want to use it as a salad dressing. Also, I have used Hellmann’s Cholesterol-Free and Egg-Free Sandwich Spread for a healthier spin instead of the mayonnaise.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.