Our Black Magic Chocolate Cake is a rich, moist, dark chocolate cake. Packed with a deep chocolate taste, a moist and delicate texture, and perfectly balanced in sweetness, this is the stuff of real chocolate fantasies!
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
Are you ready to embark on a journey to create the most delectable chocolate cake you’ve ever tasted? I know there are countless contenders for the title of “best chocolate cake recipe,” and I understand the competition. However, one taste of this sumptuous, black magic chocolate cake topped with a creamy chocolate frosting will have everyone at the table agreeing that this IS the most incredible chocolate cake. Ever.
Now, please, feast your taste buds on our exquisite cake. Our recipe, rich with cocoa, is enhanced by the addition of freshly brewed coffee, and the texture is remarkably tender, ensuring the cake stays moist for days!
How To Make Black Magic Chocolate Cake
- Ingredients. Gather standard cake ingredients like; sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla.
- Mixing. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla mixture on medium speed for about 2 minutes until it forms a thin batter.
- Pour the batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans.
- Frosting. While the cakes are cooling, bring the cream and butter to a boil. Pour it over chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Chill it for 2 hours, stirring after the first hour.
- Once the cakes and frosting are cool, frost the cakes, assemble the cakes and serve.
Tips & Variations
- Don’t skip the coffee! Adding coffee to chocolate cake can help to deepen and enhance the flavor of the chocolate. While it doesn’t make the cake taste like coffee, it adds depth and richness to the chocolate flavor, making it taste even more decadent.
- Have your ingredients at room temperature. This helps make a smooth cake mix.
- Sift the cocoa powder. This stops lumps in your mix.
- Don’t Overmix: Be careful not to overmix your batter, as this can make the cake tough. Mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Cool Completely: Allow your cake to cool completely before frosting. Frosting a warm cake will cause the frosting to melt and slide off.
- Add Nuts: Add chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter for a crunchy texture.
- Flavor Variations: Experiment with different flavors by adding liqueur or extracts such as almond or peppermint.
- Fruit Fillings: Consider adding a layer of fruit preserves or compote between the cake layers for an added burst of flavor.
With its delicate crumb and luscious frosting, this chocolate cake will be a hit with your friends and family. They might even say it’s the best chocolate cake they’ve ever had. 😉 Happy baking!
More Chocolate Cake Recipes
Black Magic Chocolate Cake
- butter for pans
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed black coffee
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- To the mixing bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. You should have a thin batter.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pans for 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.
- Place whipping cream and butter in a saucepan and cook over medium heat to just a boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour the cream mixture over the chopped chocolate; whisk vigorously until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove the frosting from the fridge and stir. Refrigerate for 1 more hour or until spreading consistency.
- Spread about ¼ to ⅓ of the frosting on one cake layer; top with the other cake layer and spread the frosting on top and sides of the cake.
- Cut and serve.
- Measure the ingredients correctly for best results.
- Have eggs, butter, and buttermilk at room temp for better mixing and baking.
- Mix just until combined to avoid a dense cake.
- Use a toothpick to check if the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly before frosting to avoid a messy, crumbly melt.
- Mix in chopped nuts for some crunch.
- Try new tastes with different flavored extracts or liqueurs.
- Use coffee in the frosting for a mocha twist.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.