Black Magic Chocolate Cake – This is my go-to chocolate cake recipe. Moist, rich, and delicious dark chocolate cake that’s perfect for the Holidays, or any other occasion!
HAPPY NEW YEAR, MY FRIENDS!!!
AND what a way to start it – with free money and a CHOCOLATE cake!!! Is there any better way to enjoy the beginning of the New Year?! NOPE!
To make this celebratory message more complete, imagine that there’s a really cool gif right above this sentence with sparklers and stars and noisemakers! (I wish I was a graphic designer…)
On this night, given the choice between staying at home and going out, I always, always choose OUT! At this moment, I am partying it up with my husband and friends, sending off 2013, and ringing in 2014 with a bang! I may also have my fingers stuck to a Dom Perignon bottle…
What’s better is that I even have 2 slices of this Black Magic Chocolate Cake waiting for us when we get back home!! Diets do not start on the 1st of January – leave that for the 2nd.
HOW TO MAKE BLACK MAGIC CHOCOLATE CAKE
- We are going to gather standard chocolate cake ingredients like; sugar, flour, baking soda and powder, cocoa, eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, we’re going to mix it all up together and pour batter evenly into two prepared pans and bake.
- In the meantime, we’ll prepare the frosting by combining butter and whipping cream in a saucepan to bring to a boil.
- This mixture will be poured over chopped chocolate and mixed until all is melted and incorporated, then chilled.
- Once the cakes have cooled off and the frosting is ready, spread the frosting over the chocolate cakes, assemble, and serve.
WHY WE EAT ROUND CHOCOLATE CAKES ON NEW YEAR’S DAY
On the 1st of January you have to eat “good luck” foods – round foods, like, cakes, cookies, and doughnuts! These treats are often enjoyed on New Year’s Day as their shape signifies that the old year has come to an end and the New Year brings a fresh start.
With that said, this cake is the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted. A moist
About that giveaway! $100 Target Gift Card! Scroll down and enter!! GOOD LUCK! And again, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I can’t wait to spend another 365 days with you!! XO
WATCH HOW TO MAKE BLACK MAGIC CHOCOLATE CAKE
Moist, rich, and delicious dark chocolate cake perfect for any occasion!
- butter for pans
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed black coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- !FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 bag (12 ounces) semi sweet chocolate chips finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
Preheat oven to 350F
Butter and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla.
Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. You should have a thin batter.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans to wire racks.
Cool completely before frosting.
!PREPARE THE FROSTING
Place chopped chocolate in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.
Place whipping cream and butter in saucepan and cook over medium heat to just a boil.
Pour cream mixture over chocolate; whisk vigorously until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
Remove from fridge and stir; refrigerate about 1 more hour or until spreading consistency.
Spread about 1/4 to 1/3 of frosting on one cake layer; top with the other cake layer and spread frosting on top and sides of cake.
Cut and Serve.
Adapted from Allrecipes
WW SmartPoints: 20
Ring in the NEW YEAR with a $100 Target Gift Card! Today the sponsors and friends of A Night Owl are joining up to bring you an amazing $100 Target Gift Card Giveaway! Now you can get that item from your wish list that you didn’t get for Christmas! Enter today via the Rafflecopter form below! Open in the USA and Canada.
Ends at 11:59pm EST on Wednesday, January 8th, 2014.
GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED