This juicy Heirloom Tomato Salad is the perfect summer side dish! It’s a fresh and flavorful salad that’s easy to make with several different colored tomatoes and a delicious garlicky vinaigrette.
Fresh Summer Tomato Salad
This healthy salad is made in just 5 minutes with tomatoes, herbs, onions and cheese. It’s a quick-fix summer side dish that the whole family will enjoy!
Seasoned to perfection with salt, pepper, garlic, and balsamic vinegar, this salad is full of summery flavors. You can enjoy it as a light lunch, or serve it alongside any main dish. If you’re craving a fresh and juicy salad, you have to try this recipe!
What Kinds of Tomatoes to Use
During the dog days of summer, I always make this salad with in-season heirloom tomatoes and grape tomatoes. I like heirloom tomatoes because they’re packed with real tomato-flavor, are easy to slice, and they hold their shape well when cut into wedges. But more so because they taste great!
The grape tomatoes are nice because of their smaller size and sweeter taste.
I like using a variety of heirloom tomatoes for this salad. They come in different shapes and colors, and make a beautiful summer salad when combined into one tasty dish!
- Heirloom Tomatoes: Slice your tomatoes into 1/2-inch wedges.
- Grape Tomatoes: Cut your grape tomatoes in half.
- Salt & Pepper: Salt it well; taste and adjust to your liking.
- Red Onions & Garlic: Cut your onions into thin slices.
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Parsley: Chop up your basil and parsley.
How to Make Tomato Salad
- Add Tomatoes to Bowl: Arrange your prepared tomatoes in a salad bowl and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Add Onions & Vinegar: Add your prepared onions over the tomatoes. Drizzle the salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, gently tossing to combine. If you like garlic, add 1 clove minced garlic, too.
- Garnish & Serve: Top your salad with crumbled feta and garnish it with chopped basil and parsley. Serve and enjoy!
What Goes with this Summer Salad
This versatile salad tastes good with just about anything! Here are some ideas for what to serve it with:
- Chicken: This salad pairs wonderfully with my Balsamic Marinated Grilled Chicken!
- Pork Chops: Another easy grilling recipe to make with this salad is my Honey Soy Grilled Pork Chops. They’re extremely tender and delicious!
- Bread: Homemade bread and juicy salads are always a good combo. I recommend serving this salad with my Rosemary and Garlic No-Knead Skillet Bread.
- Shrimp: Anything that’s seasoned with lemon will be lovely with this salad. Try my Lemon Herb Garlic Butter Shrimp!
How to Store Leftovers
- Leftover tomato salad should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days! I love eating this salad straight from the fridge on a hot summer day. It’s even more cool and refreshing than usual!
More Tomato Salad Recipes
Tools Used in this Recipe
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Salad Bowl
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup colored grape tomatoes, halved
- sea salt, or kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Arrange tomatoes in a salad bowl and sprinkle with salt, and pepper.
- Add onions over the tomatoes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic; drizzle over salad and gently toss to combine.
- Taste for salt and/or vinegar; adjust to taste.
- Top the salad with crumbled feta.
- Garnish with chopped basil and parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- If possible, use a variety of colors and shapes for the heirloom tomatoes.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.