Tomato Avocado Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Simple, delicious, and refreshing summer salad packed with corn, cucumber, tomato, avocado and a drizzle of the best Lime Cumin Vinaigrette!
Corn Salad With Tomatoes And Avocado
Perfect for a BBQ, a lunch, or a potluck, this Tomato Avocado Corn Salad is an easy and light summer treat brimming with amazing textures and flavors. It makes a great side dish with grilled meats, but it’s also just as good all on its own. I can eat a ton of it. ?♀️
Our Corn Salad is a wonderfully quick-fix salad, without having to cook a single thing and it comes together in minutes. It’s probably one of the simplest recipes I have on Diethood, but honestly, this salad just felt like a great way to kick off this hot summer day.
If you were planning on having salad today, you.must.make.this.one. ? Grab some juicy cherry tomatoes, sweet corn, creamy avocado, firm cucumber, and tasty red onions, so we can get this recipe started.
How To Make Corn Salad With Tomatoes & Avocado
Fresh corn right off the cob is probably the best, and if you have some cooked and set aside, cool! But if not, grab a bag of frozen sweet corn kernels and thaw 3 to 4 cups. Do you want to use canned corn? SURE! Just rinse it well.
- Once you have decided on the corn, transfer the kernels to a large salad bowl.
- Next, you want to slice up an entire English cucumber into half moons. Place those in the salad bowl with the corn. Then, move on to the cherry tomatoes. We will need 2 to 3 cups of cherry tomatoes; slice those in half and transfer them to the salad bowl.
- Grab 2 average-size avocados; peel and remove the pit, then cut into cubes. Add prepared avocado to the salad bowl. Red onions will also make their way into this salad. You’ll want to cut thin slices of about 1/2 of an onion and stir those into the salad bowl. Set aside.
How To Make A Vinaigrette With Lime & Cumin
- In a mixing bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Cover salad bowl with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Stir, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, and serve.
Tips & Swaps
- For the best flavor, use fresh corn when it’s in season. It lends a sweeter, fresher taste to the salad.
- If using frozen corn, let it thaw completely for best texture.
- When cutting avocados, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh after halving and removing the pit to minimize browning and bruising.
- Be gentle when mixing the salad to keep the avocado cubes intact.
- Not a fan of cilantro? You can use fresh parsley or even mint as a substitute.
- For an additional protein boost, consider adding grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
- The vinaigrette can also be customized. Coriander could be an excellent alternative if you prefer something other than cumin. Or, for a creamier dressing, consider adding some plain yogurt.
Make Ahead Corn Salad
- For best results, the salad is best served fresh, but if you’re making it ahead, add the avocado and dressing just before serving to avoid browning and sogginess. Also, the longer it sits, the better it tastes, but I wouldn’t keep it in the fridge for longer than one night. Please just make sure to stir before serving.
- My corn salad is filled with fresh summer flavors. Serve it as a side to grilled lemon chicken or grilled salmon; you can also serve it as a dip or in tacos!
More Summer Salad Ideas
- Summer Cobb Salad
- Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
- Olives Avocado Salad with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- Tex-Mex Margarita Chicken Salad
Tomato Avocado Corn Salad with Lime Cumin Vinaigrette
- 3 ears cooked or grilled corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 2 to 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large salad bowl combine corn kernels, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, cubed avocados, and red onions. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper; whisk until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad; toss gently to combine.
- Cover salad bowl with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for one hour.
- Remove from fridge; garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Corn: If fresh corn off the cob is not available, use 3 to 4 cups frozen (thawed) sweet corn kernels, Or you may also use canned corn – rinse it well.
- Scoop out avocado flesh gently and mix salad lightly to keep avocados intact.
- For prep ahead, add avocado and dressing just before serving.
- Opt for regular cucumber for less sweetness, or replace cherry tomatoes with regular tomatoes.
- Substitute cilantro with parsley or mint.
- Add grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu for protein.
- Swap cumin for coriander in the dressing, or add plain yogurt for creaminess.
- Adjust salt for sodium intake; add jalapeno or red pepper flakes for heat.
- Consider other add-ins like bell peppers, black beans, or mango for variety.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.