This Tomato Salad with Sweet Onions is a refreshing dish, blending the juiciness of ripe tomatoes with the subtle sweetness of Vidalia onions and a hint of zesty red wine vinegar. Perfect for summer, it’s a simple yet flavorful side that pairs wonderfully with grilled meats.
I often drop over at my parent’s house to raid their fridge and pantry in hopes of finding something good to eat. Something authentic and Macedonian like Feta Cheese French Toast or Meat and Potato Casserole. Other times, when there’s only Strawberry Shortcake Cake for dinner, we hop over there as a family and eat all their food. Recently I popped over at their house, and since no one was home, I invited myself to their backyard. I then proceeded to raid their vegetable garden. Buckets of tomatoes later, I jumped into my car and got away with it. Then I invited them over for dinner and served this Tomato Salad with Sweet Onions. Don’t worry – I ain’t that cheap – I grilled some meat, too.
I’ll be the first to admit that I have a salad addiction, but you would never guess that a simple combination of tomatoes and onions could be so lovely. This salad and I have been hanging out since I was *this* tall. It’s a very simple, yet very popular Macedonian salad. We practically live on it during the hot Summer days.
Why You Should Make This Tomato Salad Recipe
- Refreshing Summer Treat: This salad is a delicious, cool, and refreshing option, perfect for those hot summer days.
- Complementary to Grilled Dishes: Its light and tangy profile pairs exceptionally well with grilled meats, making your BBQ or grilled dinner complete.
- Nutrition with Simplicity: Made with fresh, good-for-you ingredients like ripe tomatoes, sweet onions, and parsley, it’s a health-conscious choice without compromising taste.
- Quick & Easy Preparation: With a prep time of just 15 minutes and a straightforward ingredient list, it’s an effortless addition to any meal.
How To Make A Simple Tomato Salad
The success of this salad relies on the freshness of the tomatoes and onions and the quality of the olive oil, allowing these simple ingredients to be the stars of the show.
Ingredients For Tomato Salad
- Tomatoes: Cut into thin wedges.
- Sweet Onion (e.g., Vidalia): Thinly sliced, these onions add a mild and slightly sweet crunch to the mix.
- Fresh Parsley: Chopped and added to the salad for a burst of fresh herbal flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Drizzled over the salad, it provides a rich, smooth texture and brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Red Wine Vinegar: Adds a tangy brightness to balance out the salad’s flavors.
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Combine Ingredients: In a salad bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, and parsley together.
- Add Dressing: Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Season: Sprinkle with salt and pepper, adjusting to taste.
- Toss: Mix well to ensure everything is well-coated.
- Chill: Refrigerate the salad for about 15 minutes to meld flavors.
- Serve: Once chilled, it’s ready to be enjoyed.
Gather your tomatoes and onions – we’re about to eat Macedonian-style! Make sure to include some of the following suggestions and serve them with the salad.
Tomato Salad with Sweet Onions
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a salad bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, parsley, olive oil and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.