These Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Sauce Stacks are a delicious combination of sweet, roasted eggplants topped with a perfectly textured tomato sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese!
A DELICIOUS & EASY VEGETARIAN DINNER RECIPE
THIS stuff is Ah-may-zing!
Hello, Friends! Hello, Wednesday!
I SO meant to post this on Monday to fit the whole Meatless Monday theme, but I was SO sidetracked by all other blog stuff that Monday came and went, and my eggplants stayed behind.
BUT, never fear, Wordless Wednesday is here, which is yet another “theme” that I can’t ever follow. Telling me not to talk is like telling me not to eat. Ain’t gonna happen.
My first goal with this post is to convince you to love eggplants. And that they are not bitter. Well, yes, they are, but only if they’re old. And not salted.
Secondly, I want to get you to truly enjoy veggie dinners without the meat. You can do it!!
Sidenote: Every time, and I mean every.dang.time, that I say “You can do it!”, I think of Rob Schneider on The Waterboy. Accent and all. 🙂 Know what I’m talking ’bout? I hope!
So, about them eggplants.
There’s a trick when it comes to eating veggies for dinner. They better be swimmin’ in sauce and be covered in cheese. Agree? I mean, of course you do!
I love to pair eggplants with tomatoes. I mostly love the way they look together. The colors speak to me.
This tomato sauce though… this stuff is pretty sophisticated and special. There’s green peppers in there, and onions and garlic and worcestershire sauce …mmmmmm… it’s a beauty!
These stacks are so cool and so simple, wholesome and inviting. Don’t you think? I love ’em *THIS* much + infinity!
Now I think is the perfect time for you to grab a fork. Your tastebuds will thank you for this veggie explosion.
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Sauce Stacks
- 1 large eggplant cut into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce (such as pasta sauce/marinara sauce)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle each slice with salt; let stand 20 minutes.
- Using paper towels, wipe off the moisture from each slice and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until browned on top.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and peppers; season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tomato sauce, light brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, oregano and parsley; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add tomato sauce mixture to the onion mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove eggplants from oven.
- LOWER oven temperature to 350F.
- Lightly grease a baking pan or a casserole dish with cooking spray. (You can also use the same baking sheet that you used for roasting the eggplants.)
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with about 1/4 cup tomato sauce.
- Place the 4 largest eggplant slices over the tomato sauce.
- Over each slice of eggplant, spread couple tablespoons of tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Each stack should consist of 3 eggplant slices.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tops turn light brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.