Tortilla Chips and Pecans-Crusted Chicken Nuggets: Baked, healthier chicken nuggets covered in a delicious and crunchy mixture made with tortilla chips and pecans.
PECAN CRUSTED CHICKEN NUGGETS
Seriously? Literally, one of the best chicken nuggets I’ve made. The sweetness of the pecans paired with the salty chips is just BE.YOND.
The texture is, of course, amazing – crunchy and flavorful, which makes eating chips with chicken totally worth it. Totally.
On another note. Taking pictures of chicken nuggets is SOOOOO not cool. Blah. I’m sorry if your eyes hurt. Brown/yellow food is hard to photograph as it is, but when you pair that with rainy, gray days??? NOT an ideal combo when you’re photographing ugly food.
ON ANOTHER NOTE! I don’t have a middle name, but it should be “Dork”. Lemme tell you why.
I just did something completely foolish, putting it politely.
Really, though? It was straight-UP dumb.
I like coffee. I drink a lot of coffee. BUT, I can’t have coffee after 5 pm. If I do, there will be a party up in here all night long. Just ask my friends. They call me “old” because I order decaf coffee when we go out for a quick bite.
Last night, for whatever reason, I thought, hey, let’s try this again. Let’s have a cup of coffee at 7 pm and see what happens.
8 hours later, I saw “what happens”. What usually happens, that’s what! The last time I looked at the clock, it said 3:05. AM! AND I had to get up at 6:00. AM! Ugh.
I need a nap. Or a gallon of coffee to keep me company (and awake) throughout the day.
By the way, late night TV is awesome!! I watched “Friends”, I watched “Three’s Company”, and I watched “Who’s The Boss”!! An episode of “Growing Pains” would have completed me.
HOMEMADE CHICKEN NUGGETS
But but but, we have better, more delicious things to talk about. Things like Chicken Nuggets covered in Tortilla Chips and Pecans.
Since everything homemade is thousand times better than store/fast food restaurant-bought, you should absolutely cancel your dinner plans and make these tonight!
In fact, not only can you eat these chicken nuggets for, say, dinner, or even lunch – or even pack ’em up in your kid’s lunch box (!!) – they also make for an awesome appetizer (HELLO FOOTBALL), or even a snack, of course!
Now, pull up a few chairs and dig in! Don’t forget the ranch-dressing. Make sure you stir in a bit of hot sauce, too. Just sayin’.
Tortilla Chips and Pecans-Crusted Chicken Nuggets
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (I always use what's on the bottom of the bag)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup halved pecans
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line a baking sheet with foil; lightly grease with cooking spray and set aside.
- Season chicken-pieces with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place chips, chili powder and oregano in a food processor or blender; process until well ground.
- Add pecans and pulse a few times, or until finely ground.
- Transfer mixture to a plate.
- Pour milk into a bowl.
- Dip chicken in milk and then roll in crumb mixture to coat.
- Place coated chicken nuggets on previously prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Remove from oven.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.