Stuffed Zucchini Boats – Baked tender zucchini stuffed with a rich meat sauce and topped with a mound of melty cheese. Stuffed Zucchini is easy to make and this recipe is one of THE best ways to enjoy zucchini for dinner!
Few years ago an abundance of zucchini ⬅ that’s putting it lightly – from my garden + leftover Taco Beef in the fridge inspired me to make this stuffed zucchini recipe.
Ana and Aleksandra wanted tacos, the husband wanted zucchini lasagna, and all I wanted was to EAT. 😏
Thus, badda bing badda boom, we had Stuffed Zucchini Boats for dinner and we all lived happily ever after… or, until dinner time the next day. 🤷♀️
Stuffed Zucchini is a dish with your vegetables and your meaty entree all in one. It is basically a one-dish meal that covers all the bases. Add a simple side salad and a big bottle of wine, and you’re SET! Trust me. We do it all the time.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
- Start with slicing the zucchini in half, lengthwise.
- Using the tip of a spoon, scrape out the zucchini flesh.
- Spread a bit of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Arrange zucchini boats, flesh-side up, over pasta sauce and sprinkle with salt; set aside.
- Next, prepare the Taco Beef filling; recipe here ➡ Taco Beef and Rice.
- Wipe down the prepared zucchini boats with paper towels and fill them with prepared beef mixture. No specific amount – just spoon in what the zucchini will hold.
- Add a bit more pasta sauce or marinara sauce over zucchini boats and top with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand few minutes before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Store stuffed zucchini leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
HOW TO FREEZE STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- Allow the stuffed zucchini boats to cool COMPLETELY, first.
- Store the zucchini boats in an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month. If you have to stack the zucchini to fit, use wax paper in between the layers.
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES
- Cheesy Bacon and Corn Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips
- Healthy Apple and Zucchini Bread
- Gluten Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Baked tender zucchini stuffed with a rich meat sauce and topped with a mound of melty cheese.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1 recipe for Taco Beef and Rice Skillet <--- click to get the recipe
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and spread 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish; set aside.
Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the flesh with the tip of a spoon.
Arrange the zucchini boats in the baking dish, flesh-side UP; sprinkle salt over each boat and set aside.
Prepare the Taco Beef mixture.
Once you've cooked the beef, wipe down the zucchini boats with paper towels.
Fill the boats with the prepared beef mixture. No specific amount – just spoon in what the zucchini will hold.
Top each zucchini boat with remaining marinara sauce and add cheese on top.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and mixture is bubbly.
Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 8
- If counting carbs and/or calories, I would suggest to leave out the rice in the beef recipe.